Has Glide gotten too complex and less beginner friendly?

First, thank you @Luther and @Darren_Murphy for your kind words. You both have also contributed much to the community and selflessly give your time and energy to making Glide understandable and accessible.

I agree with the quoted passage above. Glide can seem overly complex to beginners when they run into a situation where they need to create 4-5 column combinations (usually conditional relations) in order to achieve the functionality they want. Likewise, it can seem complicated when beginners are forced to use CSS to achieve what they want visually. As I mentioned in the last post, Glide should take a step back this 2022 and focus on improving the components they already have—offering more ways to natively style the UI.

I believe this was the intention of @Jason’s thread here:

What I do know is that Glide is looking to improve their education efforts this year as well as aim to make the UI more flexible and consistent across apps/pages (eg. In Glide Pages there is no details vs list view … a duality that confuses a lot of beginners in Glide Apps).

All in all, I still think Glide is easy for beginners, but I can understand @erwblo when he suggests that the learning curve is a bit steeper now than where Glide was a few years ago.

9 Likes