Good or bad - made with Glide!

Just to clarify, I am not part of the Glide team, I am a end-user, like you (or like you were when you tried Glide).

I don’t expect you to pay me for anything, but you can pay me a beer when I will book a travel via your site :wink:

1 Like

You can always come for a beer, location : first island to Dubrovnik. Welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool! Thanks for the info. I’m glad you found a product that works great for your particular use case. Glide gives me exactly what I need as I need control over data entry, back end processing, and database management as a whole without managing multiple providers. If I need additional info from the user, it’s a few minute change to the database and IU. Best of luck in your future endeavors. I hope you succeed.

3 Likes

Also, I a’m also thinking about a great advantage of Glide. Whe MN I trained using it, I made an app shared with my wife to manage our day to day life : appointments, to do list, shopping list, blablabla. It took, let’s say, 27 minutes to make this app, correct from an UI perspective, and very useful in fact for our life. And I think, honestly, that is something WordPress or X will not be able to achieve. Would you setup a WP, a database, and so on for such a thing? It’s one of the great value and advantage of Glide, quickly deployed and working as you need. Source of business, not huge business maybe, but it answers a large need.

I don’t see the point of doing something like that ?? simply download the finished app from the Android or iPhone store, there are hundreds of them. Real applications, no coding, no fabrication

Have you purchased the PRO version to make a reminder and calendar for yourself and your wife. I think not, so it doesn’t make much sense

This app was for training purpose, I don’t buy the pro version, no. But what u was saying is that using Glide, pro or not pro, you can quickly deploy a solution that fits some needs that ca not be adressed by other products (features or efforts), and moreover, as it is highly customizable, you don’t depend on a tier party app.

It’s not to reopen the debate, just to say that there are currently real advantages of using Glide.

You do the same by downloading some nice app in 36 seconds from the App Store. Probably with more features, customization and better design. everything already exists there. For free. No coding! explore a little.

But not made by me :blush:

And goof luck to find an app covering all family needs, from A to Z.

then you can use Google app maker ,… it will be your “app”

learn something :slight_smile:
and open your eyes

Yep! :smile:

2 Likes

My three cents:

• Bubble is a great tool, you can build everything with it, but … I wouldn’t call it no code, you need to have quite a bit of technological and design knowledge to make your ideas come true.
  • Adalo is really nice, but very young and because of that limited. I really like the way they have made their database and the data logic for building apps. Great as well that you can release iOS and Android apps. In the free versions you can only use 50 rows of data.
  • Glide remains my favorite. Of course you can’t make anything, but I rather focus on what you can make. And that’s a lot. And you can use 500 rows of data in the free version.

To be honest, Adalo and Glide are both only beginning, don’t judge them only on what they are but look at what they can become. Support your NoCode startups!

7 Likes

Completely agree with all of these

1 Like

This was posted 2 days ago.

1 Like

Just my 2 cents for this conversation. I created about 20 directories with the theme you mentioned. It is very good and the support is not bad. But this is very time consuming and customers do not rely, nowadays in that kind of directories. And in each update lots of bugs comes to place. Users prefer more simple apps. More local focused and without too many forms, lots of businesses in the directory, etc. I moved one of my directories for Glide in about one day. So far, Glide is not perfect, but it is very challenging. People love the simplicity and the way the data is organized. I expect to move all my business directories into Glide. Because the kind of directories like Mylisting or Wilcity are eveywhere and with such offer, local businesses don´t want to pay. With a Glide City Guide for example, my town hall is giving away the app at Tourism Office and the results were so good that some of the businesses in there hire me to develop some Glide Apps.

5 Likes

@Lori_W: I saw a link to App Sheets on Google Cloud Platform: https://www.appsheet.com, so maybe this will be replacing it?

@ABYSS: Your argument is flawed, it’s like comparing apples to oranges.

Not only that but it is laughable when you bemoan Glide’s lack of SEO when your own site has security issues as it is not even serving correctly over HTTPS.

It is also slow with poor performance, over 6 seconds to load with a whopping 124 requests on the homepage alone. You need to fix that, with either knowledge and code, or forking out another $99 for a premium plugin.

You have not optimised images at all. Since users will be uploading content this is something you will need a plugin and expensive solution for such as Shortpixel, Imgx or similar.

With your map implementation, which again is very poor, I saw one place in Dubrovnik slap bang in the middle of Trafalgar Square in London.

With very few listings I would consider your project a huge failure on many levels, though to be fair you see this all the time with speculative WP directories in the wild. Having been a WP user for over 10 years, and having evaluated many directory themes, I have yet to use one for a project and I have not yet seen any successful implementations in the real world.

It is also very naive to suggest that after the initial costs for themes and plugins you only have to pay domain registration and hosting thereafter. That attitude is a massive fail, and perhaps gives you some further insights to my assertions above, as site owners quickly discover their sites have been compromised due to security issues that would be patched had they maintained the annual fees for themes and plugins. But, instead of forking out cash to fix their sites, they close down because no-one is paying to be listed on their sites.

It’s a vicious circle.

And to make matters worse, your site is painting the wonderful and vibrant coastal city of Dubrovnik as looking like a Ghost Town.

Not only is that quite an achievement, but it’s also a huge disservice.

Sretno sa svojim pothvatom!

7 Likes

1 Like

What are you talking about? Are you talking about a website or ??

@Abyss: I was talking about YOUR website; this one:

https://dubrovnikoffers.com

1 Like