Glide's Community Built Messenger

For sure. I need to figure out the right time to “fork it” because some of my future group chat requirements are fairly specialized. (Regarding privacy, invitations and notifications).

Surely do it before you add that stuff :slight_smile:

I would say get it to the point where its still generalized and when it becomes something specific towards your client post that version.

I was using a list view with regular layout, seems like you’re having a compact view.

I had a try at adding a timestamp but it moves the image right and I haven’t found a way to move it back to the left (like what the comments component shows).

1 Like

Do we have a most recent version of this to list. Some of the links here are broken. I updated all of my posts to the last version I updated.

I pulled a version for reference and ended up prototyping some ideas in a brand new app. I am not ready to push my changes (maybe by the end of this week).

When I am done, I guess I will have to manually add my changes to the latest version. (Whatever that ends up being :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Can you show us how you integrated this CSS in your chat system? it dose not work for me.

I was using a list view with regular layout, seems like you’re having a card view.

Its still not working when in list.

I didn’t have the time on there, only used title, details & image.

1 Like

FYI, I worked on this for several hours last week but haven’t had a chance to finish my proto. It’s coming in a few days :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Maybe i don’t understand how CSS works on the app?

I have a user using iphone 11 and the send message is not working? what can it be? Do we need to use different css for iphone?

Sending a message isn’t affected by the CSS.

Then what’s causing it to not show the Send Message text field? It works great on my android.

That’s a good question. I am unsure as I do not have a iphone to test it.

Any idea of a new timeframe?

Life happened, back on it today!

Basic functionality is working - I spent A LOT of time to implement a design that bundles consecutive messages from the same user. I’d like the timestamp to appear at the top of a new message bundle, not the bottom. But I don’t think that is possible using the inline list hack to display messages.

Bundles

Due to my google sheets hackery, the UI is VERY unresponsive so I have to pin down why it takes 4-5 seconds for a new message to appear after you send it. Well it’s obvious why, I need to see if I can fix it. I am unsure if the lag will grow longer as more rows are added. Hopefully I did not paint myself into a corner here.

For example this “bundling” query is slow:

Also, that message bundle sheet requires the formula in column C to be manually copy/pasted down the sheet because array formulas won’t work here. This would require a script to maintain, perhaps the same one that would also periodically clear chat history to minimize row usage.

I would love feedback on this so far. I am concerned about the complexity to pull off this design. As an MVP, this has gotten a bit out of hand. I usually like to put a lot less work into something before I deploy an MVP.

1 Like

I don’t know what i am saying, But can there be a %0a feature, If not Lets request for a code for (next line) for instance so life can be easier for us. That should solve your line brake in sheets. The way the sheet is set up now, I see it being abused very quickly. Not a good idea. like you mentioned it will slow down the sheet very quickly.

In fact there should be some code that should work everywhere not just in rich template. Does glide officially support basic code like ###. Maybe we ask to allow it in certain areas including the enter - %0a (new Line) code.

For the name in sheet. I assume a template would look horrible with the size.
The css code you was working so hard. If your able to switch that to cards. Then you have a bit more flexibility here.
And i am sure we can figure out the CSS and relay have some fun designing it? or nea?

This might be useful for that… (the first bit)

2 Likes

Wow, some nice work sir. I am curious if the delay does increase or not. We may have to use Glide tables only to avoid delay though. But also 4 seconds isn’t that bad.

1 Like