Glide Enterprise

I’m curious to know how much faster & scalable glide enterprise is for someone using Google Sheets.

Are apps granted more server space or is it solely related to switching over to a SQL database backend?

I think @Ian will be a valuable ressource to you for such question :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, @AymenM!

@Harry_OBrien the short answer is: it depends :slight_smile: What are you trying to accomplish?

The MySQL integration was built to connect to Enterprise customer’s existing large databases to Glide.

For example, a customer might have 150k rows in their database. But they still have to query for the most relevant 25k rows, because the apps are still limited to around 25k rows on the phone due to performance issues.

The speed is better than Google Sheets, however, because we don’t have to do the roundtrip to hit Google’s APIs. It’s closer to Glide Tables level of performance.

Also worth noting, we do not host a MySQL database for you. You would need your own MySQL database and we could connect to it.

5 Likes

Hi Ian - thanks.

I am building an app that could have anywhere from 500-1000 concurrent (desktop) users and I am concerned it may begin to struggle at those numbers. Currently ~15k rows are on Google sheets due to content coming from external data sources via APIs. I intend/ed to go live this coming month, so even a little improvement in the short term would likely be beneficial - it is quite time sensitive.

Hence why I was curious if Enterprise Glide apps operating on top of Google Sheets handle more load than Pro Glide apps on top of Google Sheets, or if it is only more scalable when you remove google sheets and switch to an SQL backend.

If not, I would look into running an SQL database however this is not something I have experience with so I’m concerned it would take me a while to replicate what I have functioning on google sheets. Apps scripts, importranges and arrayformulas all over the place, its pretty complex!

3 Likes

I’m going through the process of migrating a system from GS to MySQL on Glide (as in, I just sent the details to @Ian and glide support to make things happen).

I’ll keep folk posted!

5 Likes

@Harry_OBrien got it.

Within a month or so you’ll be able to convert a Google Sheets based app to a MySQL database or Glide Table based app which should help you manage a larger database. We’re still adding the ability to query for your most relevant 25k rows, which will be the lynchpin for this feature right now.

Shoot me a private message and let’s chat soon.

5 Likes

Sure ! Thanks a lot @Mark_Turrell for all your insights !

Being realistic, the first couple of weeks of Glide on MySQL will be for companies with SQL systems wanting to make them available, not as a working data source for our apps. But, as @Ian says, more is coming soon (I would like sooner, but hey-ho)

2 Likes

In a slimmed way down mysql would be so great to have even on the normal pro plan , just a thought .

1 Like

Hi @Ian any opinion on how Glide/MySQL performance/speed compare with Glide tables? Is it comparable or do apps built on GT tables from the beginning have a slight edge?

I ask because if our first few events are successful, we’d like to launch in several cities globally.

Thanks in advance

Hi Ian,

What are the key differences between connecting a SQL database to Glide App over a PowerApp?

@Manu_Marea that’s basically Glide Tables.

@Zonez_SF TBD. No benchmarks in place yet.

@Steven mainly, everything about Glide. Did you have something more specific in mind?

1 Like

Thanks @Ian Sent you a PM as well

There’s been a couple folks asking, just to clarify:

MySQL is not an easy setup. It’s mainly meant for Enterprises that have existing MySQL implementations. You’d need to spin up your own hosted MySQL instance and then work with our engineers to set up the necessary SSH tunnels, etc. to get it up and running.

Glide Tables is still your best bet in terms of performance.

5 Likes

Hooray!

1 Like