šŸ’Ž Gamify Glide Apps (Updated 2022-11-28 - Episode 11: Craft Items)

That looks right.

So what could be wrong here? The thing that surprises me is in the sheet the values for rel_inventory, inventoryCount and itemSlotsRemaining are all different and correct but in the app Data it gets these values from only the first row for every user.

Are you filtering your inventory screen by signed in user?

1 Like

That was it, thanks, it worked! :grinning:

1 Like

Gamify Glide Apps Reboot #6: Health, Potions and Graveyards

Develop a health system in your app! Determine base health per class, provide health boosts as users level up, allow users to use healing potions to regain health and allow users to revive themselves by sacrificing their gold and inventory.

3 Likes

Gamify Glide Apps Reboot #7: Boss Battlesā€”Part 1!

:point_right: Create bosses
:point_right: Determine rewards if defeated
:point_right: Select a boss to battle
:point_right: Add members to your battle party

4 Likes

Gamify Glide Apps Reboot #7: Boss Battlesā€”Part 2!

:point_right: Create Boss Battle logic and turn-based gameplay
:point_right: Bosses and players attack for random damage based on their stats
:point_right: Collect rewards upon defeating a boss!

4 Likes

Ok, I need some clarification on something. Every time Iā€™ve watch the trebuchet method being demonstrated, Iā€™ve always felt like itā€™s much more complicated than it needs to be. I just havenā€™t been able to determine if there is some kind of advantage that Iā€™m missing.

With what you demonstrated in your part 7.1 video above (with keeping the party members selected for future battles), wouldnā€™t it make more sense to just have a custom action that sets a boolean value to true or false. Then use only three columns to build your list. First the boolean column, then an if column to carry over the email, and finally a joined list column.

To step it up and have it automatically clear when you open the form, you would do what I did in my reset multiple rows example and first set a new UUID for the user in the user profile when the form is opened, use a single value or template column to carry that onto all user rows, replace the boolean column with a text column to hold the UUID when selected (or clear when not selected), then the IF (comparing selected UUID to user profile UUID) and Joined List columns like above.

The joined list would dynamically build itself without having to have a complicated set of templates with commas added and removed, and moving values back and forth between columns every time a user clicks on another user.

Again, maybe Iā€™m just missing something, or a particular scenerio where trebuchet makes sense, but in a lot of examples (like the above video), it just seemed like it could be simplified quite a bit. I can potentially see an advantage of trebuchet if you are not viewing a list and not directly interacting with each list row, but instead only passing in an email to the first row, followed by an actionā€¦so something like a choice component and a button to add or remove a userā€¦but if you are directly working with the list, it seems like it could be a lot simpler. Iā€™m happy to be wrong, but Iā€™ve never been able to wrap my head around why it needs to have so many steps to it.

2 Likes

I would love to be able to simplify the trebuchet method if possible. Let me test something out based on this post and Iā€™ll get back to you.

1 Like

Like I said, there probably are cases where it needs to be set up that way, but I just havenā€™t run into those casesā€¦yet. The closest Iā€™ve come to the trebuchet method was my calculator app, but that was slightly different since I was only adding and removing the to the end of the string instead of trying to remove something from the middle.

@Jeff_Hager Check this out!!!

3 Likes

Now we need to rebrand this methodā€¦weā€™re not slinging anything anywhere anymoreā€¦weā€™re comparing unique valuesā€¦thoughts?

2 Likes

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 1.18.47 PM
Seeing this and being like:

4 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s exactly what I was thinking.

Itā€™s still trebucheting that joined list somewhere else if you choose, so I think the name still applies. :wink:

Again, this probably doesnā€™t work as well if you arenā€™t working directly with the listā€¦but as I think about it more, I image if you had a choice component and a button, you could probably use a set column through a single relation to clear or set the UUID.

I also have an idea to use this same method for a shopping cart style app that would work with selections as well as quantities. It would need some additional actions to wipe out the quantity when the UUID changes on the item, but I think it could work quite well. I just havenā€™t sat down to create a sample app yet.

3 Likes

Hi Robert I keep getting an error when trying to use the chart method from the second episode.

Quickchart will return this error when your chart isnā€™t properly defined. Debugging this can be difficult, but what I usually do:

• Use the sandbox to ensure you have the chart defined correctly
  • reduce the amount of data in the chart to just a couple of data points
  • display the chart using a rich text component. This will expose the generated URL, which you can then paste into a browser window for further debugging

You might need to watch the next episode (2.1) to fix.

Hi Robert,

Thank you for this wonderful Reboot Series! Iā€™m stuck with an issue involving the progress display. Some of the profile images wonā€™t show up with a transparent background. I ran some test by replacing ā€œtransparentā€ by ā€œblackā€ and ā€œwhiteā€. Some pictures only show when on those backgrounds.

Is there a way to fix this? Tell me if you need to see anything in the data.

Thank you so much for your time!

Hm. Transparent is a bit spotty, ya. Might just need to go with White.

Do you have an estimated time for the next episode?, this series is so great, thanks for sharing.