Filter By Path to Page

Is there a way to filter data on a page based on the path the user took to get there? I’m trying to create a directory app of lawyers. As an example, lawyers have a practice group and a state bar license. I have tabs that include the practice groups and bar licenses. But I’d like to make sure that if a user goes Litigation -->Alabama (through an inline list) the only lawyers that show on that Alabama page are litigation lawyers licensed in Alabama. But if they go straight to the Alabama page, I want them to see all Alabama lawyers, regardless of practice group. BUT …I’d still like to have an inline Practice Group list on the Alabama page that could take me only to Contracts Lawyers licensed in Alabama.

I am not a programmer…just having fun in creating this tool for work so appreciate the support!

Unfortunately no. Once you navigate to a level below a page, you lose the parent info. Do you have a sheet you can share? I’m sure this is possible with the right relation, lookup and template columns.

Rats. That would be so nice if you can help! Here is the sample I’m using. None of this information is real - just trying to set up the framework to input information once I get the real info:

Just to give you an update. I’m still trying to come up with a solution for you without altering your existing data layout too much. I think I’m close, but I just need to find the right combination of relations and lookups to get it to work. I did create a crossover lookup sheet that contains all the combinations of practices and bar licenses. I think that will be the key to link everything up. I’ve also been a little thrown off by the bar license array in lawyers. I ended up creating a second array of combined practice and bar license for each lawyer. That’s where I am right now. I have a lot going on this week, but I’ll keep chipping away as I can.

Thank you so much!!! It is a tricky problem within the confines of this app. Love this tool so much, but this does seem like fairly basic/commonly needed function, so I may add it as a function request! The bar license is problematic, and we will likely add a secondary practice area, as well, so will need that array at some point. But once the structure works, I can figure out how to replicate. Seriously - thank you so much! This community is great!

1 Like

I'm posting the response I gave to @leilah13 in a private message. I have further cleaned up sheet to simplify it. I'm now making it public for everyone else's benefit.

I think I achieved what you were looking for. I didn’t have to modify your sheets too much. Here’s the link to the app.

  • First I added a new sheet called BarPractice, which creates a list of combined Bar and Practices combinations in one sheet. This is the key to get everything to work.
  • Next I created 5 more columns in the Lawyers sheet, which is a combination of Bar and Practice. It’s an array, just like your Bar License columns
  • I created 3 tabs in my copy of the app. One is Practice, based on the Practice sheet, the next is Bar License, based on the Bar License sheet, and the third is Lawyers, based on the Lawyers sheet.
  • Both the Practice and Bar License sheets have relations to the BarPractice sheet. This is what allows each one to show an associated list of Bar’s and Practices. The inline list on both is filters to only show records that have lawyers in that combined Bar/Practice.
  • In the BarPractice sheet, I created a template that combines the Bar and Practice in one column. I then use that template column in a relation the the lawyers sheet. The BarPractice template is linking to the BarPractice array that I created on the Lawyers sheet.
  • On the Bar License sheet, I also created a relation to get a list of lawyers in that state. This is lining the Bar License state to the Bar License array that you already had in the Lawyers sheet.

I think I covered everything that you were asking for in your original post. The app can be copied so you can look at it. The maximum number of rows has been exceeded in the free version, but it’s still mostly functional.