Fake GPS

Hi folk. Is there a way to address users who use fake GPS programs?

What do you mean exactly?

I have received complaints that a large number of my users are manipulating the GPS location on their devices with the location button that I have installed for a long time. The application is called “Fake GPS” and many others, which are easily available on Google Play. I think maybe someone in this community has succeeded in overcoming this.

So your app is not a business app and you are tracking their location without their consent?

No, Nathanael. They only need to press the button once to mark the location they visited.

1 Like

Would it be an option to have the users submit another data point via a choice component, for instance the names of locations, instead of GPS coordinates which they seem to be messing with?

I know this is difficult because they are manipulating their own gadgets. However, this is important because my users are students who need to understand the site conditions through experiencing them. They always feel that everything can be represented by Google Maps. Maybe you have also experienced being a student. If one is exposed, then perhaps all have used it. :wink:

1 Like

What is their motivation for wanting to manipulate their location?
Perhaps a better approach might be to try and find why they feel a need to do it, and try and address that.

2 Likes

Just because of laziness or feeling more capable, something can find a shortcut, and the main problem is that they do not yet have an awareness of the importance of visiting the site.
Another factor is the importance for lecturers to calibrate their teaching techniques and ensure that what has been measured, seen, felt, and connected with the context of the conversation.
Ensuring that they have made a visit. It has been a hide and seek game forever. With this button, many conveniences are obtained in control. Apart from this, I have not found a way yet.

I did some searching the other day, and it seemed like there wasn’t a whole lot you could do. One suggestion though was to get the user’s ip address, determine the region for that IP, and then cross reference it with the location, but it’s not very accurate. My phone IP can sometimes show me as one or two states away from my current location.

Only thing I can think of is some kind of multi-level verification.

• Maybe some kind of proof of life verification Have them take a picture of themselves at the site with a current newspaper.
  • Have the instructor pass out unique one time use passes that students must take a picture of next to the site.
  • Have a barcode or code at the site that changes daily that they have to scan or enter.
  • Have a handout at the site that they have to bring back to the instructor.
  • Hire a babysitter.
  • Flat out threaten them…

Trying to think of other creative ways along those lines.

5 Likes

So far, all teachers have been trying various creative ways, but they are also hindered by many things. Unfortunately, this is not the main job of teachers. Thank you, friends, for contributing to finding a way out of this problem.

I have explored the internet and found only a few solutions, and I do not see how they can be applied in Glide, such as sudden location change checks and indeed not even guaranteeing their success.

Yes… this is a common problem that I think is currently being sought for a solution, especially for those in a work environment who need the truth of their users’ positions. Just wait and see.

1 Like

Probably the best solution with minimal implementation. Also, if they know they have to scan a QR code, they are less likely to even try to opt-out during the location checkpoint. So it’s like two-step verification.

4 Likes

I once heard of the failure of this method for attendance purposes, as they only need to send one delegate.

Now I am thinking about what if I calculate the distance in time units as the basis. For example, marking 2-3 points by walking. Maybe through a little complicated calculation like this, it can check the inconsistency of coordinates, besides getting additional positive things like forcing them to explore the site environment. @Jeff_Hager, do you have any ideas?

Setup checkoup through Make.com and restrick ip only for local wifi node

This is interesting. Could you elaborate further and what product is from make.com?

Webhook have ip restrictions option

1 Like

That’s an interesting idea. Maybe a minimum time between locations and any time greater than the minimum would be acceptable, which maybe a generous maximum time as well. I know if like that idea. Even if they were spoofing, they with have to sit in there phone for quite a while to get everything recorded.

Another thought I had…what level of accuracy (number of decimal places in the coordinates) do these fake gps programs provide? For example, would the coordinates be something like 55.55558625, 55.55556268 with legitimate coordinates compared to 55.55550000, 55.55550000 for fake coordinates. Maybe the number of non-zero numbers at the end of each coordinate could be an indicator. Not sure if that’s the case, but maybe something to look at.

@slscustom.ru has a very interesting idea as well. That could probably work very well.

1 Like

Could you explain further the workflow in Glide, especially the use of the location button? I need to try it later. This method might be simpler and easier to implement.

I’m really excited to try it out on my computer right away, but now I’m hindered by other work that needs to take priority. My initial thought is to use a time unit distance measurement approach rather than delving into the coordinates. I need to set aside time to unpack the standard walking speed and distance that can be covered. I’ll let you know if it works out.

1 Like

Sorry @Jeff_Hager, I missed your point. You may be right. Here I give an example of the coordinates resulting from the use of fake GPS: -6.237031,106.781155. It looks normal and has a pattern of 6 digits behind the dot. It seems that this is the result of data retrieval from Google Maps.

Compare with some other things I found, through experiments with several gadgets, the patterns are as follows through the use of the Glide location button:

1. Android: -6.1665433,106.7171416; 7 digits behind the dot
  2. iMac: -6.1731628,106.7921713; 7 digits behind the dot
  3. iPhone: -6.173162863033643, 106.7921713949005; always 16 digits.
  4. Windows: Not yet tried.
  5. -6.20932,106.84695; Fake or not??

I think this is close to the solution. Testing is needed to make sure.

2 Likes