Fake GPS

After testing on Windows, the result is 7 digits after the decimal point.

The filtering result for coordinates assuming 6 digits after the decimal point as fake GPS users turned out to be students who are in the same group and few who are in other groups. This strengthens the notion that this can be used as a reference.

What’s still intriguing is the following pattern:

1. -6.22592,106.8302336; 5 and 7 digits after the decimal point.
  2. A single case in the above thread, which is 5 digits for both lat and lng with 5 digits after the decimal point.

@Jeff_Hager, do you think these are also fake? I think this method is the easiest if correct.

I do hope you realise, of course, that your students are keenly following this thread, and are already devising dastardly workarounds :wink:

3 Likes

Hahaha… So I need to delete this chat, can I?

Decimals can have 0 in any of the digits, and with any mathematical number, any trailing zeros will be truncated. It’s not fool proof. If you stand in the exact right spot, you could potentially have no decimals at all because they would all be zero.

I guess what I was hoping for was that the fake gps program would offer considerably less accuracy and maybe provide coordinates only out to maybe the 10 thousand or 100 thousands decimal place while legitimate coordinates go out further.

Real coordinates could be the same or provide more digits depending on the gps chip in the device. They could be shorter or longer depending on if the last numbers are zero or not. It depends on a lot of factors and if the last numbers are zero or not. It would be rare that both latitude and longitude would always have a small number of decimals. One could be longer and the other could be shorter.

If we are only talking about the difference between 6 and 7 digits, then maybe it’s not the best indicator of fake or not. A coordinate with 7 digits could end in 0 meaning it would truncate to 6 digits.

1 Like

Your view is correct, Jeff. For validation that could be applied and strengthen the falsification of GPS, it is in 2 conditions where both lat and lng have exactly 6 digits, to minimize errors. At least they will try to shift positions again to find new coordinates that do not end with zero if they are really on site. Only students who try repeatedly but fail, that means the number of coordinate digits does not change, unless they use cheap chips as you mentioned. If that happens, it is my luck that the students will come back to me with the excuse that Glide is cheap or has many errors. This behavioral pattern has often occurred and serves as feedback for me on its weaknesses.
This is the amusing story from the students’ side, when they intend to cheat and fail, they will come back to me for interrogation. :grin:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.