Email as signed in user not appearing as an option

Not sure what I did but for my login/onboarding screen there no longer appears the feature filter option of “email/is/signed in user” I deleted it to test various ways to have my students login: have them log in with a password and then on the onboarding screen have them enter their email address so as to avoid them having to get into their email and get a pin code (not sure yet if this is going to work) but when I tried to go and put back the feature filter option of "email/is/signed in user- it now no longer appears as an option. What could be causing this?

1 Like

Is your email column showing up as a text column or an email column?

2 Likes

This just happened to my yesterday for first time…go to the Glide Data Editor and in the column for email, manually change the column type from text/“A” to “email” and then the option should appear!

1 Like

Thanks everyone, that was exactly it. So basically, there is no way to have a student login using a password and then enter their email which then can be used throughout the app as a “email is signed in user”- since technically, they didn’t sign in with the email. Was trying that hack around to save the trouble of having my students having to login to their email account to get the pincode- want a smoother login in process “teacher, I forgot my email password” etc.

1 Like

Hi Todd! Maybe @Robert_Petitto has some other suggestion or point of view as he works with students as well. I think the PIN, while yes, it does require the student to check their email, is a very secure and smooth method. I am totally obsessed with PIN method and so happy that it was available out of the box with Glide. I think that is really your best and most secure option at the moment. Perhaps we will have PIN by text in the future. For what it’s worth, I built an app for my son to showcase his sketches/artwork and he uses pin flawlessly on an almost daily basis - and he’s only 8! :joy: I can also attest to the fact that 99% of the time, the PIN appears within a few seconds! Further, the PIN session lasts at least several days and you don’t have to deal with “I forgot my password”. Good luck - I don’t want to detract from your wish to have a different process but wanted to give you one very strong endorsement for the PIN! :relaxed:

1 Like

Yeah, to @Deena s point, PIN is the best solution unless your students have Google accounts. I’ve tried every which way to hack the system to allow for something different but it just doesn’t work.

3 Likes

Ok, valuable time saving feedback @Deena @Robert_Petitto . What is the difference between a PIN and Google account- do not both require they know their account password-- I guess Google account is one less step, correct, just enter the Google account password.

1 Like

Correct and if they’re already signed in with their Google account it won’t ask for a password or a pin

1 Like

Just in case it comes up, very rarely, Google will refuse to allow an email account to be authenticated for Glide - in that case you would just tell the student it’s a Google algorithm/issue and they should just use the email field to obtain PIN. Again, this is rare.

1 Like

Ok, will keep that in mind, thank you!

1 Like