Direct URLs to search specific screens

A and C have been released, if you have not had time to read that.

2 Likes

No way, I’ve been waiting for this let me check. This is awesome…Thx for letting me know.

1 Like

Geo

Yup! Tears! I’ve literally been using glide with a heavy heart without these two components. I can officially say that glide has surpassed App-sheet. There is no turning back now…lol

Thx…

Now I can start building my “Uber” app lol

1 Like

By the way I’ve solved your deep link, A viable work around just came to me. I’m going to build a demo app and you can decide if it works…I’ll have it done by tomorrow.

Users from In the app will be able to…

1. Create an article
  2. Once created a url will be generated
  3. Url can be shared on facebook or wherever and when clicked will open the article.
2 Likes

@Lighted_Candle: Just for the record I am not trying to build a Facebook or Amazon in Glide, nor even an Airbnb (though this has been done on a small scale already as proof of concept).

I’m using Glide right now as an MVP. It may stay in Glide, it may not.

I think I’m right in saying that Google introduced the concept of a PWA and one of the key tenets of a PWA is discoverability via deep links.

Glide is selling itself as a PWA, only it isn’t fully.

I think you are contradicting yourself as on one hand you’re saying ‘think differently’, then you’re saying Glide is probably the ‘wrong platform’ for my needs whereas how I see it is, apart from some of the technical limitations, Glide can be used for anything - there is practically no limit.

On a personal note, I love the constraints of Glide as they provoke creative thinking. A cursory glance at some of the diverse apps people have created will illustrate that.

So, let’s not keep going around in circles here. Deeplinking is an important tenet of the PWA concept, and that’s not just me saying that.

3 Likes

Please Please Please prioritize these url links OR "deep links"
They will be priceless for directing people to the relevant pages in my apps.

My app has multiple layers of value that i wish to expose to my audience.
And all that value cannot be placed on my apps single landing page.

I use multiple different marketing campaigns from multiple other social and communication apps and emails and sms etc to effortlessly link people through to my app so that they can experience that value.

The worst thing is when people click on a call to action (within a specific marketing campaign) and end up landing up on an unrelated landing page in my app.

1. How would i know which marketing campaign they came through? And better understand their needs or solve their problems.
  2. How would i be able to help them satisfy their curiosity in following the link, if they end up on some unrelated landing page or menu of options?
  3. How would i direct them around my app to discover other related content, once they are already inside my app.

I noticed the absence of these links from day one in working with glide.
Glide Apps are really dynamic but i believe these deep links will take Glide to the next Level.

Personally i shouldn’t think this is too complex to solve.

• Each “page” in the app could have an ID Number (similar to unique keys for each row in a sheet)
  • Then possibly a forward slash on the main Glide app url example ( tx3js/page4.glideapp.io )
  • If it’s a public app with no sign-in they’ll go direct to the correct page.
  • If it’s public with email they will redirect to the correct page - after they’ve signed in.

Obviously it’s easier said then done and i know its not that simple, but hell it would be a very useful tool.

PS. Creating multiple apps as single pages with no sign-in is the simplest workaround but then it’s not realy an app, it’s a webpage. I need them to land on a specific page in my app and after they got what they came for - i can help them discover other specific content that i match up with their interests.

Waiting patiently and with much anticipation for this feature.

5 Likes

+1000 Please prioritize this feature request - DEEP LINKING is so important for so many use-cases!

3 Likes

@Lighted_Candle how’s the hack coming along? I’d love to try it!

Just got done with the demo. Not a bad little app I might Add. I’m thinking of adding it to the template store, of course if you want exclusive ownership we can work it out also.

Either way let me know what you think.
https://deeplink.glideapp.io/

#DeepLink Workaround

2 Likes

Glide now has built in deep linking ‘link to screen’

Boa noite! E possível captar a localização ao apertar um botão de forma automática?
Ao invés da pessoa enviar a localização quando ela clicar em um botão envia automaticamente!
Obrigado

You can create a compound action that first writes a deep link to the sheet, then a second action which sends or does whatever you want with the deep link.

@Jeff_Hager Do you have a specific example of this?

I was trying to do this recently, and I couldn’t figure out a way to do it. The only way I could figure to get at the Deep Link was:

• Temporarily add a button to the screen I wanted the deep link to, and set the action to Show Sharing Options
  • Open the app on my phone
  • Tap the button, and copy the link
  • Paste the link back to myself so I had it available on my laptop
  • Paste it into the Glide data editor

As I was doing this I was thinking to myself there must be an easier way, but I only had a few to do, so I did them and then promptly forgot about it.

1 Like

Theoretically you can use a set column to write the link to current screen value to a column of your choice, but my last try was one month ago and it only wrote the app’s link.

2 Likes

I JUST built this…one sec…

Just tested this, and looks like it’s still the same…

Will wait and see what sorcery Bob has up his sleeve… :grin:

2 Likes
5 Likes

oooh, so if you do it from the builder you get the link to the builder… duh!!
Okay, lemme try that…