Deep links: Send parameter to the app URL

Dears,

I want to filter the list on the homepage based on the app URL.
ex:

datasheet:

Car red jeep
Car green fiat
bicycle red jeep
bicycle green fiat

Needs:
the app URL will be something like :slight_smile:
https://gxcal22.glideapp.io/?parameter_name=Car

when the app opened will just load the car records only

can i do this?

4 Likes

As far as I know not,ā€¦
To extend your request ā€œdeeplinkingā€ into the app would be a great add on, including Form posts.

2 Likes

I vote also for that !!

I second this motion!

Yep. Definitely on our roadmap!

6 Likes

Do u have a deadline for thisā€¦

Sorry @Ahmed_Samir. Unfortunately we canā€™t give a timeline yet.

1 Like

+1

@JackVaughan is there any way to deep link to a specific page currently?

Also with the white label list - do users have to sign up for that first before being able to sign up to the app?

2 Likes

As you know - email whitelist allows only certain people to log in. You choose one of your sheets where your whitelisted emails are located and then only those users will be able to log in to your app. You effectively ā€˜sign them upā€™ by whitelisting them - but they still need to ā€˜log inā€™ with a pin.

However, once they have logged in, they benefit from per-user data.

1 Like

Hi Jack, so everytime users want to use the app they need to login? Isnā€™t there a way to avoid this? So they need to use the app and they are directly logged in? Thanks!

1 Like

If you add the app to the homescreen, and even if you just use it in the browser (I think), once you log in once the user should not need to log in again as long as they use the same device. The only time they would be required to log in and get a new pin is if they clear their browser cache. Clearing the cache can cause the device login info to be cleared out. Once they are logged in, that device is semi-permanently logged in all the time.

I would love a way to link directly to parts of the app via something like a push notification (Pushbullet, Pushcut, etc). I envision having an app and, using Zapier, I could send notifications to myself and/or my wife and the notification could include a link to the relevant part of the app. That would be a dream :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I totally second this.

Hi Jeff - just using the browser I have to log in every time. I have not tried yet with adding to homescreen

I would try a different browser or try on a phone or someone elseā€™s phone. You donā€™t have to add to homescreen, but just try it in different browsers to make sure your donā€™t have a setting to clear cache. So you have to look into other sites like Gmail, Google drive, it glide. I donā€™t I stay signed in until I manually sign out.

@Jeff_Hager ā€¦ two year later ā€¦ the same request, do GlideApps have a roadmap to work with parameters in the URL?
I need this for many many developments for my clients

I be waiting your reply
Regards

1 Like

I second and wish for it

1 Like

I donā€™t foresee anything like url query parameters coming anytime soon, if at all. Iā€™m also not privy to what Glide has planned for the future. About the closest thing you would have now is deeplinks for apps and slugs for pages.

Usually query parameters need specific programming to handle specific parameter names to parse out the information from the parameters and place it into the correct variables, followed by knowing what action to take once those variables are filled. Iā€™m not sure how making something like that dynamic would work in the case of Glide.

I really donā€™t know what Glide can and will be doing in the future.

I did take a crack at seeing if I could come up with something myself. Two things I discovered so far:

• Even if you add query parameters to a glide app url, the page will refresh without the query parameters, so they arenā€™t retained.
  • With a javascript column, itā€™s really easy to get the URL of the current page, which means a person could probably use a handful of computed columns or just some extra javascript to parse apart that url and get those separate parameters. Unfortunately, it appears that the javascript code in the javascript column runs under the column.sh domain, so the url that is returned is the column.sh url. There is possibly a way to get the parent url, but since Cross-Origin Requests (CORS) are not permitted, and I assume glide attempts to sandbox any javascript code, then any request to get the parent url is blocked by CORS.

So, at this point, Iā€™ve been unsuccessful at obtaining the url of the app using javascript, but even if I could, Iā€™m not sure the query parameters in the url would stick when the app loads.

2 Likes

Hi Jeff,
As far as I can tell, URL params are still a no-go on Glide.
I had an idea to use URL parameters on a webhook. This would be read by Make and then update (or add) a row on a Google Sheet that is the basis for a Glide app. Perhaps to add a row to the ā€œusersā€ tab, which will both allow a user to login, as well as assist the app in ā€œpreparing the groundā€ for this user using these parameters we sent to the webhook. For example, we will ask a user to login to an app that will collect onboarding documents. The required set of documents might not be similar across all new clients, thus the parameters that will set the ground for the app to know which docs are needed.
Iā€™m still trying to fully design this solution but I wanted to get your valued input early, so I wonā€™t waste my time.
Thanks and have a great weekend