Deep links: Send parameter to the app URL

I don’t foresee anything like url query parameters coming anytime soon, if at all. I’m also not privy to what Glide has planned for the future. About the closest thing you would have now is deeplinks for apps and slugs for pages.

Usually query parameters need specific programming to handle specific parameter names to parse out the information from the parameters and place it into the correct variables, followed by knowing what action to take once those variables are filled. I’m not sure how making something like that dynamic would work in the case of Glide.

I really don’t know what Glide can and will be doing in the future.

I did take a crack at seeing if I could come up with something myself. Two things I discovered so far:

• Even if you add query parameters to a glide app url, the page will refresh without the query parameters, so they aren’t retained.
  • With a javascript column, it’s really easy to get the URL of the current page, which means a person could probably use a handful of computed columns or just some extra javascript to parse apart that url and get those separate parameters. Unfortunately, it appears that the javascript code in the javascript column runs under the column.sh domain, so the url that is returned is the column.sh url. There is possibly a way to get the parent url, but since Cross-Origin Requests (CORS) are not permitted, and I assume glide attempts to sandbox any javascript code, then any request to get the parent url is blocked by CORS.

So, at this point, I’ve been unsuccessful at obtaining the url of the app using javascript, but even if I could, I’m not sure the query parameters in the url would stick when the app loads.

2 Likes