Creating PDF

Just checking in on this as I have a use case to create a PDF of rows in one of my sheets (filtered on a couple different variables — user and a time period).

It seems like the method that @Darren_Murphy mentioned is to convert a Google doc to a PDF, correct? To do what I want to do, I think I still need to use Zapier/PDF Monkey to generate a PDF out of filtered fields in my app… Right?

1 Like

You could take those fields and write them to a GDoc, then convert that to PDF. But that’s probably way more effort than it’s worth. So your Zapier/PDF Monkey option is probably the simplest and quickest.

2 Likes

Ookaay… but anyway we have to do all the job in the sheet… am I right? I was looking to do it inside Glide.

Yes @Darren_Murphy, because there is an html layout definition in PDFMonkey templates that saves a lot of work and gives you full control of the situation. The work there is really very fast.

2 Likes

You can do that with a template column to change those parts, specifically.

+1. I made two apps that use PDFMonkey and fully satisfied with it. The work at the start to generate a template is huge but once we get that done it works flawlessly.

Just starting to look at PDF Monkey… seems like a cool tool!

Do you know if there’s a way to somehow load the generated PDF into the Glide app? I’m thinking of a scenario where someone has their data, hits a button “create PDF” and theyre presented with the generated PDF (or download link) inside the app.

If not, what’s your current process? Use a Zap to send it data to PDF Monkey, then login to your PDF Monkey account to download each PDF?

In my scenario, the PDF is only generated when the admin approves the “row”. So the data is already in the row inside the Sheet.

I create a trigger in Zapier so that when the Approved column is true, the data is then sent to PDFMonkey to generate a PDF.

Then that PDF is uploaded to a Drive folder, then I take the drive file to update back to the row at the start (using a lookup step, then an update).

1 Like

Thanks for that info. For the last part, is that a manual process, or is another zap that you’ve configured to upload the PDF to drive, update the row?

It is just one zap with multiple steps. The lookup makes sure I’m looking at the right row for the update. I use the rowID from the trigger in the 1st step for the lookup later.

2 Likes

Ahh that makes sense. Thanks @ThinhDinh!

1 Like

I am looking to do something along these lines, although I don’t need to view the PDF in the app after it has been created. I also don’t need to email it, simply store it in a Google Drive folder.

I have come across PDF Creator - Andrew Roberts

Does someone who knows more than me (most of you) thing that this could be enough to remove the need for Zapier and PDF Monkey?

1 Like

The code is well written, and the author has good credentials. I’d say go ahead and give it a go :+1:

Having seen your work in the Calendar post along with Jeff, that is good enough for me.

My brain rebooted just trying to understand the concepts, let alone the coding.

Time to delve into the murky world of scripts…

2 Likes

Just wanted to add DocsAutomator to this thread. It’s part of Glide integrations and the easiest way of turning Glide data into PDF :slight_smile:

Here’s the original forum post: Turn Your Glide Data Into PDFs (native DocsAutomator integration)

Glide documentation: Glide • DocsAutomator

3 Likes