Choice Field and Filtering Data

Hello there, I am having issues with the filtering of data on a form. The screen starts on table “Orders” which contain a “Client” reference denoted in a number. For the sake of simplicity I will draft the example as follows:
Order 1 belongs to Client 5.
I am trying to open a second order lets say Order 2.
When adding a form opens.
In the form there is a choice Field “Locations”
Since we know the order belongs to client 5 and the locations table contains a reference of client 5 the resolution would be to filter data where location’s client reference matches the order reference client. However this does not work when these conditions are input the field itself disappears. Initially I thought it might be a field type issue so I made sure both were number type. Then that did not work so I try to manually input 5 and that worked. This leads me to believe that the on-screen reference is not passing the dynamic value. However, I am not sure how to solve that. Maybe my understanding is also not complete and the field choice itself can only reference itself? I need help and would appreciate any guidance anyone can provide. Thank you in advance.

Are you using Row Owners anywhere in your App?

No, I believe this won’t be a problem for the client side as the row owner option will take care of this issue on that side. However, for my tech side It would be nice if I could filter data on the choices as there is a lot of locations and as a UI experience you kind of expect the choices to be limited based on where you are at.

Can you add some screenshots on how you’re setting up the form?

Still trying to parse your response… was that “No, I’m not using Row Owners anywhere”, or “Yes, I have Row Owners but I don’t believe it’s the source of my problem”?

Still trying to parse your response… was that “No, I’m not using Row Owners anywhere”, or “Yes, I have Row Owners but I don’t believe it’s the source of my problem”?

The first is correct.

No, I am not using Row Owners anywhere.

Can you add some screenshots on how you’re setting up the form?

Video Feed

Can you tell me why your “look up” column is a normal number column? How are you doing that look up in the database?

Can you tell me why your “look up” column is a normal number column? How are you doing that look up in the database?
It’s a formula field, it concatenates two fields (Auto number type and txt field), I just made it simple to represent my problem on the glide interface.

So it actually contains text in there? Can you check if there’s a difference in the value displayed in the Sheet and the one displayed in the app? Why don’t you have it as a text column?

I finally realized that the lookup value does not compute because its inside a form so if I look up for input “2” for example since the item is not created yet, the form cannot compute a matching Id for it. I made it numbers to be easier to explain. Anyways, I ended up using the user as a method to filter and limit filter. Thank you all for the help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.