Choice component (Details page) - Default Value, selection unavailable

I’m sure this has been discussed but I have dug around for a while now and can’t find something relating to this specific issue. I have a Choice component on a details page and I would like it to have a default value of “Active” however the choice setup on the right panel doesn’t have a place for me to select that option. It is available in a Form, however not here.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just not an option and if so why?

Thank you in advance for any help or guidance.

-Chad

Unlike a form, you can’t set a default on a detail screen because it’s pulling the value straight from the column in the table. In a form, you haven’t written a row yet, so it makes sense to be able to set a default. On a detail screen, you are working with live data, so setting a default would overwrite any preexisting value in that column in that existing row.

Your only option is to set the value via a Set Column when navigating to that screen. So when you select John Smith from a list, you need to change the action to a custom action that first sets the default value in the column that the choice component is writing to, followed by a second action to navigate to the detail screen. Then when you arrive in that detail screen, the value will already be set as the selected choice.

3 Likes

Thank you Jeff for both the explanation and the solution, I will do that!

1 Like