Can't make personal checklists for users

That gets tricky. When using a user specific column, the value is specific to one user, so that won’t work in this case.

Sharing a list among different projects instead of different users is a lot more involved.

I’d say the absolute easiest way would be to generate separate lists for each project, but the hardest part of that is figuring out how to add multiple rows at once.

• You could have a custom action with several Add Row actions to add each team row for a new project.
  • Or you can use a third party service, such as Zapier, Make, Google Scripts, etc.

A more involved way would be to have a shared list. You really couldn’t use the standard checklist layout. You would have to use a standard list layout with actions to mark a list item as checked or not. Then through some backend logic in the table, and some additional actions, what you would want to end up with is a joined list of Task Row IDs (comma delimited list) that gets saved in the project row. It’s kind of complicated to explain step by step. I would recommend checking out the thread below. The third example in that post allows for saving and recalling saved items. It’s not an exact example, but might help give you some ideas.

A third alternative that might be even easier, would be to use a multi-select choice component for people to check off their tasks. The secrets will be saved to a single cell in the project row. (I recommend displaying the task, but write the row I’d for that task.) There are some ways to still display the list with check marks within the project, but would involve writing the project I’d to the user table when opening the project, bring that into the team table using a template or single value column to populate that project on all rows. Then create a Relation to link the project ID to the project table. Then create a Lookup column to bring in the comma delimited list of checked off tasks. Then create an IF column to check if the tasks Row ID is included in the lookup column. If it is, return a :white_check_mark: emoji or something similar.

Ultimately you could mix and match parts of all three methods as needed. It all highly depends on how your data is set up and how you want it all to look and work in the end.

3 Likes