Can you adjust the scale of the bar chart?

Hi,
I am working on something, to keep track of several things.
One of them is my weight. I am checking this every day. So I am setting my weight against the date.
Is there a way to adjust the scale of the bar chart?
My weight is using one decimal.
Some weights are for example; 84.6, 84.8, 85.0, 84.9, 85.1 etc etc
Right now, all the bars look like they all have the same height.
It would be nice to see some more differences between each bar.
I also just found out, that the chart is backward.
The latest is on the left but I would like to have it at the end, on the right.
I tried to sort it, but that doesn’t work.
I also had done a sort on my Google Sheet, with the newest date/entry on the top.
Maybe I need to experiment more with that.
As some extra info, I am using the free plan, so I cannot use a API.
Thanks for all your help :slightly_smiling_face:

Glide’s native charts don’t offer much help with customizing things like you want here. I would explore Quickchart.

2 Likes

Thanks, I will have a look at it.

@ThinhDinh , I had a look at QuickChart and it looks nice.
I did a quick sample and I think It will work for me.
Now I have the next problem.
I want the chart to show the last 7 entries of the table.
Every day there will be a new entry, so every day, the oldest need to drop and the newest need to be added.
For now, I have no idea how to do this.
I am still new to this, so I need to figure out how I could do this.
I think I need to do something with a template, but I am not sure how.
We will see.

I would create 7 Single Value columns that grab the value from the end, 1 from the end, 2 from the end, 3 form the end, etc. Then use a template to merge those single value column values with the rest of your quickchart url.

Sounds okay
But sorry for asking, I am new to Glide and I still need to learn a lot.
How would I grab those numbers?
After that, I know how to create the template.
But then I get to my next problem.
How to use the last template for my quickchart.
For now, it looks like this;

Many thanks in advance for all the help :slightly_smiling_face:

Like this. Create a single value column and set the number of rows from the end.

Just create a final template with your quickchart url. Where the data goes, create a replacements to replace the data with the values in your single value columns.

1 Like

Thanks.
I did not notice this option yet :slightly_smiling_face:
I will give it a try.

1 Like

This had worked.
But now I am running into the next problem.

Sorry to keep on asking so much.
In my numbers, there is a comma for the decimals.
I want to have this as a dot.
Because quickchart sees the comma as a separator for the next data entry
I tried to change my numbers and use a dot, but Glide keeps on placing the comma.
Is there a way to convert the comma to a dot?
I already tried to change the field from number to text, but Glide keeps on putting back the comma instead of the dot.

In my Google Sheets, it shows a dot. And that is what wanted.

First of all, formatting of numbers and dates in glide are based on the region/locale of the the user’s device. If we both used the same app, numbers with a comma decimal for you would show as a dot decimal for me. It’s just something to be aware of.

I’m going to assume that you will never have to worry about numbers large enough to be concerned about a thousands separator.

I haven’t had to deal with any regional formatting other than what’s in the US, so I’m not sure if this is the best way to handle this. Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

What I would probably do is create a couple intermediate template with just the data. I would join your 7 columns with a pipe delimiter | between the numbers. Just something unique that’s not a comma. So something like this.

Then create another template that will use your first template as a source, and then replace the commas with a dot, and replace the pipe with a comma. Like this.

Then your data should be formatted the way you want and you can insert it into your final template with the url. Setting it up like this should work for other regions that use a dot decimal because there will be no comma to replace. In that case, the only replacement will be the pipe delimiter to a comma.

2 Likes

Wow, thank you so much.
It sounded complicated, but after reading it a second time, I understood it.
I will give it a go. :slightly_smiling_face:
I think I need to learn to think outside the box more. :wink: :slightly_smiling_face:

Update:
It worked great
Now it is only some fine-tuning :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I think an alternative for this is to create a math column to calculate the date cut (now - 7), then add an if then else column to only return the values that make the cut.

Finally, use a join list column to get just those 7 numbers.

2 Likes

:man_facepalming: Yeah, that makes a lot more sense.

1 Like

hehe, was just reading through this thread and was getting ready to suggest this option, haha :joy:

2 Likes

I’m the reason we can’t have nice things.

2 Likes

haha, I don’t know how many times I’ve looked at a question and a possible solution comes immediately to mind. Then the blinkers go on and I become fixated on that solution, not realising that there is a much simpler option available. Happens all the time :wink:

3 Likes

So true. That’s why we keep each other in check.

3 Likes

Thanks. I am not sure how to do this, but I think I can give it a try.
As I mentioned before, I still need to learn a lot :slightly_smiling_face:
I still have 3 more charts I would like to make so I could experiment with those.

Sorry, I tried several things but I am stuck.
I had used a math column and have the date from 7 days ago.
So now I have two columns. One with the date of entry and one with the date from 7 days before.
Where I am stuck now, is the if then else column.
Maybe you have some screenshots or can tell me how or what in more detail.
Many thanks in advance.

It would be something like:

• If Date is on or after 7 days ago, then value

Where value is the value you need for your chart.
Then you use a joined list column to gather the values from the if-then-else column.