Can we build relation through other table?

Hi there, I’m facing an issue regarding how to build relation

Let me explain:

I have the following tables (using colors to highlight relationships I created)

I successfully managed to build a product directory with an ability to filter down the list until you reach the deepest level. You can access to a product details from any level. See illustration below

Now I want to go a bit further and allow users to click on a tag (at the product details level), which would open the tag page where products belonging to that tag would be shown AND still having the ability to filter down the list. See illustration below

I’m struggling at finding a way to access dates (year, month, week) through relations since tags have dates through products only. I tried to lookup for data and then create a relation based on those looked up data. It looks good however when clicking on a date, let’s say 2020 I see all products from 2020 but not with the tag applied, these are just all products with that date (a use case already covered previously).

I’m pretty sure this is doable somehow and would love your input.
I tried to make my self as meaningful as possible, don’t hesitate if there’s something unclear!

Cheers

2 Likes

I kind of understand your idea but just want to make sure, from each product’s details screen, you want to let them click on tags belonging to the year only, is that correct?

So let’s say when I click on the productivity product, I can see the tags for 2018, 2019, 2020 etc. and it drills down the same way as the first screenshot?

By the way, very lovely demonstration of your problem. I love it.

3 Likes

Hi @ThinhDinh, thanks a lot for taking the time to answer me. And also for the kind words, I imagine how difficult it could be to get into the builder’s mind to understand their projects and provide assistance, so thanks again for that :smiley:

Regarding the topic, yes you’re right and I realize I could have explained it better. So basically, the filtering should stop when reaching a product detail. Then if I click on the “Productivity” tag I’d like to see all products with that tag and then filter down the list up to the week granularity (but by keeping the tag context).

I have summarized my issue in an updated variation of my schema. The red arrow is where I’m stucked. Instead of going right when clicking on a year tag, I’m redirected to the year page, without the Productivity tag applied.

This makes perfect sense regarding the way my sheets are built. I’m now wondering whether what I want to do is possible with Glide (meaning not by creating new stuff in google sheet). I can’t figure any way to achieve what I want but I know this is a real concept in programming languages.

What are you using as the action tied to each “year” button filter? I assume a link to screen?

Not sure about the answer but i first created relations between all nested tables. And then used inline list to display both my « filters » and my products. So I’d say no link.

By the way I have my app available if you want to take a look (https://hunted.glideapp.io/)

Firstly very nice looking app!

I assume we’re talking about the History tab here, and when users go to the deepest level, let’s say this screen.

Then when you click on “Privacy”, you will get all products with Privacy tag, while still having the year filter available?

1 Like

Thank you!
Actually by clicking on privacy I’ll land on what I want: all products that have the tag « privacy ». But then comes my issue since I cannot add a date filter for that specific tag.

I can include an inline list with years, months or weeks, but when clicking on one of them I would land on the date page but without the privacy tag applied. It’s only all products from that year

1 Like

Yeah I understand the thing now.

So here’s my recommendations for you to start: use the set column action to provide a bit of context for where the user is coming from.

What you would want to do is create a user-specific column, let’s say “Context” to your Products sheet. Add the months as an inline list, then the action would be set column > set the Month the user chooses to the Context column. Then link to screen > This item.

It will give you the option to configure a new screen on the same row. I think you can add an inline list with the filter being Month is Screen’s Context and Label is Screen’s Label.

Probably with a bit more trial and error we can figure this out.

1 Like

Wow that’s what I was looking for: the ability to add context!! I don’t have any computer at the moment but I’ll definitely give a try to that approach! Thanks a LOT for that :raised_hands:

1 Like

Let me know if you need help with it. I have been using it a lot in my recent apps.

1 Like

Hey @ThinhDinh! Just wanted to follow up to tell you I successfully managed to implement what I wanted thanks to your help! Thanks a lot for that. However, for the sake of simplicity, I think I’ll stick to have products inlined in just one list under their tags, ordered with dates and group by votes but no filters.

While you made me discover a part of Glide I had no idea about, I am also very surprised by how hidden / complex are those things. To access the desired section, you have to visit the second tab (features), scroll down the whole list, open a dropdown to finally discover something huge upon clicking on “Create new action”. This doesn’t make a lot of sense in terms of hierarchisation of features. Even the label is misleading since it is more about chaining multiple actions than creating new actions. Performing back and forth to run tests is very painful as well, it takes so much time to get there. Finally, also very surprised that the only way to create a unique page variation is to use the “Link to screen > this item”. Feels a lot like a hack.

This is basically why I decided to keep things simple, but thanks a lot for your time I learnt a lot!
Maybe my point of view is biased but I’d love to understand the rationale behind all those product choices

2 Likes