Building a Weather Forecast Widget/Tab in Glide via Spreadsheets

It’s the weekend here in Australia and I’m pondering a clean way to implement an up-to-date weather tab for my app… but thought we could work through it and share for everyone’s future use. Really just a nice to have solution etc.

This looks tidy, but ultimately requires a paid API connector (not completely disqualifies) ultimately.

Anyone already gone down this path?

Ultimately I’d like to create a weather section that can be either Fahrenheit or Celcius, include some forecast for 3-5 days… flexible on that. Would love to have an interchangeable icon visual too to polish it all up. All doable.

Going to start the process, wondering if anyone wants to join me on the ride? :wink:

1 Like

If you wanted to include US weather, the gov has a free service at https://www.weather.gov/documentation/services-web-api . I used that data once when I was writing an Amazon Alexa app. I was kind of reinventing the wheel but learned a bunch while doing it. Getting the weather data for a given lat and long was dead simple returning JSON data that would be easily parsable in Google Script.

1 Like

Hey @Paul this is Ana, the creator of API Connector. I’m glad you came across my add-on and article! It looks like this would be a really cool example of an end-to-end, no-code project. I’m a fan of Glide and would love to see this work, so if you’d like, feel free to shoot me a message and I’ll hook you up with a free subscription. @George_B’s suggestion also makes sense (I actually didn’t even know about the service from weather.gov), and can be done without any add-on at all, so either way looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

2 Likes

Heya cool! Ok then, I’ll go all the way down the path I’d already tested via your nice and tidy article. :blush:

Will reach out separately and if I create something that leverages the API at a larger scale than this test case / what I have in mind I’ll certainly make sure to contribute via a paid plan. I’m a firm believer in people getting paid for their time / talents / creations. :+1:

2 Likes

Sounds good, thank you! Please keep us updated and feel free to reach out with questions.

1 Like

Hi Paul,
this is the sheet I was using as a test, you can find a script to get data from OpenWeatherMap. Glide test app for 3 hour forecast. Feel free to copy the sheet if you (or anybody) want.

1 Like

I knew there would be someone ingenious around who’d already tackled it. I’ll dive in. Thx also! :+1:

I would appreciate if you all would uplike this daily weather widget request I submitted to Glide! The more votes the more likely they’ll put it on as a feature! THANKS!
GLIDE WEATHER FEATURE REQUEST LINK

What a cool app/concept! Was your app built using Glide??

1 Like

Thank you so much for the encouragement and yes it was built on Glide! If you’re interested, you can download the app here: app.fashionforecastapp.com or You can find it on the app stores under Fashion Forecast!
Thank you for your support!