Automatically add users to tasks & track tasks as an admin

Hi everyone!

My app has a list of users and a list of tasks. I’m wanting to assign new users all of the tasks when they onboard. While being able to see their progress of the tasks in an Admin view.

My questions are:

1. Is there a way to add users to tasks automatically during onboarding?
  2. Is there a way to have an Admin view that will allow me to select a User from a dropdown and populate a list of all of those users tasks with their completion status?

Here’s a breakdown of my app at the moment:

• Users sheet
  • Task Sections sheet (tasks are grouped into sections)
  • All tasks sheet (all tasks are stored here)
    All sheets are hosted in Glide Sheets, I’m not using Google Sheets for any computation.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

1. big mistake not to use google sheets
  2. yes, you can have a column to assign users to tasks and filter tasks by that column… in your case will be a reverse filter… meaning if the task is there not to show… that means is completed… so when is empty, it will show all the tsks
  3. in the admin tab (make visibility for this tab = admin), added an inline list of users from a Users sheet, and take action to show a new screen when you will show a list of tasks, that this user completed (in user sheet add a column for joined list of task completed)

Almost certainly, yes.
Exactly how to do it depends on how you currently associate Tasks with Users. Common ways you might set this up include:

• an AssignedUsers column in your Tasks table containing a joined list of UserIDs,
  • an AssignedTasks column in your Users table containing a joined list of TaskIDs,
  • a User Specific boolean column in your Tasks table that is true when a Task is assigned to the currently signed-in User
  • a separate UserTasks table with columns for UserID and TaskID, and one row per User/Task combination

Are you using any of the above methods? If not, can you describe/show how you will associate Users with Tasks?

Probably, but that depends on the answer to the first question :slight_smile:

Hi Darren!

The way that it is currently set up is that each Task just has a “Complete” boolean column that is User-specific. So each signed-in user can edit that status to mark the task as complete. I’m not using any of the above methods you’ve mentioned.

I’ve tried setting up some sort of way to have a column in the Task list of “Currently Assigned Users” but I’m just stuck on how to implement that in a way that a filter in an Admin view can access.

Okay, that’s going to be a problem for your second requirement. User Specific values are - well - user specific. Which means that no user can see the values set by any other users. Not even an admin.

For assigning tasks to Users, I’d recommend going with either of the first two options that I described earlier.

If you’re using Row Owners in your User Profiles table, then you’ll need to use the first option. Otherwise, either is okay.

To learn how to set it up, take a look at the below video tutorial:

You might need to watch it a couple of times - but it’s a technique well worth the effort of learning. Once you understand it, you’ll find yourself using it in all sort of situations.

1 Like

The trebuchet method did the trick, thank you so much!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.