Ask: Set a 10min Max Timer on Video

Hey Glide folks,

I want to set a 10 min max per day on a user watching an embedded Vimeo video on my Glide app. Also, the video is only 30 seconds long, but I want to make sure that the user doesn’t watch the video for more than 10 mins.

I am trying to get creative.

Is there any way you can set a “timer” to either close the video or page?

Or could there be a simple notification after the 10 min is done?

I can’t seem to figure it out.

You could set a timestamp when navigating to that screen with a custom action. Then use a math column to add 10 minutes to that timestamp. Then set a visibility condition on the video component to only show it if the current time is less than the calculated timestamp.

1 Like

Hey Jeff,

Kind of new to the Glide community! How do you set a timestamp with a custom action when navigating to that screen?

This sounds like it would solve my problem. Thanks for the response.

Create a New Action in the action editor.

Assuming you are clicking an item in a collection to view the video, you would first use a Set Column action to write the timestamp to preferably a User Specific column in the table.

Follow that action with a Show Detail Screen action to show the detail screen of the selected item (This Item)

Then assign that action to the Item Click on the collection.

That way when you click on an item to view the video, it will first write the timestamp to the table followed by navigating to the detail screen.

Now this alone won’t stop someone from clicking a collection item over and over again to reset the timestamp and give them another 10 minutes. In that case, you would need to come up with an IF condition to only set the timestamp once and not reset it if it is not empty.

2 Likes