Add private note on detail view

This is a question regarding the Employees template (Employees · Glide).

I want to add text (or a note) that applies to an employee while viewing the employee, that only I can see. Such as “Dwight Schrute is trained in the art of surveillance”.

• You don’t want anyone else to see this note but you (the logged in user who created it).
  • You want to be able to view and edit the note while viewing Dwight.
  • Each logged in user can create their own private note about Dwight.

How to do this with glideapp? I thought I might see an example of this in the CRM app too, but I am not seeing that.

Any ideas?
Thank you!

Hi Marc,

This could be done by using the filter abilities of Glide.
You could set a notes field within an employee view to be filtered by a set range of people.

On the google sheet you would need to make a cell that contains the list of allowed users or user and then apply the filter on that field to refer to the cell of allowed users!

Best,
Andrew

We have a feature in development called Per-user Columns to make this more easily achievable.

2 Likes

@ablx and @david thanks for the replies.

@ablx regarding your suggestion. “make a cell that contains the list of allowed users or user and then apply the filter”. If I am understanding your helpful idea, the entire list will see and edit the note. This would not satisfy the third requirement “Each logged in user can create their own private note about Dwight.”. Or am I misunderstanding?

Think of the use case of HR and management. Users each want to take notes about Dwight, without Dwight or others seeing the notes. CRM has very similar needs for private notes about customers.

Another way to conceptualize this, is it would function exactly like a “comment” component on a detail page, with the tweak that only the author can see and edit their private entry.

From a data perspective, since its a many-to-many relationship (all employees each maintain private notes about all employees) I think a separate sheet/tab would be required (like App:Comments created by Comment component)… to tie each private note to each subject to each detail page.

@david when will “per-user columns” exist? Will it enable all the functionality detailed above? Alternatively, could the existing comment and/or note components have an option for “private” (only author can see comment/note) and be later editable by author? Augmenting existing comment or note components to be private would “add private note on detail view” as well.

Thanks again!
Marc