Ability to upload and display Logo in fixed top bar instead of the tab name

There is a fatal flaw from a branding perspective–from the app maker’s point of view. Once you click the app button and you’re inside an app, there isn’t any branding opportunity. Yes, there are workarounds - such as adding a logo banner via image–which I have done, but it doesn’t look polished and on some screens, looks quite awkward. Further, displaying the tab’s name at the top is frankly a wasted opportunity and wasted use of space because it’s redundant (since the tab icon is highlighted when you’re in it). It’s such a simple little thing that would make a BIG visual impact. As always, please forgive me if I am oversimplifying this from a dev standpoint!

In addition, I’m attaching a screenshot of the desktop view where we have more redundancy with using the tab label - and again, the ability replace tab label with custom logo would make 100% more sense.

(thank you @adelhammoud

3 Likes

I understand what you mean, but if you look at the Apple and Android guidelines they represent what we have here in Glide when it comes to top bar.
It would be nice to have as it’s something that is common, but not entirely native looking things.

Branding isn’t a logo, it can be portrayed in many ways, your tone of voice being a very important one. And I find that Glide’s limitations are a great way to use that tone of voice in UX copy, microcopy and so on.

Just as an idea (that a lot of people will think it’s stupid but I like implementing it when it makes sense) is to have your logo at the bottom of the pages, where it doesn’t take up precious vertical space at the top.

I disagree with you about the standard - and while voice/tone is important, I am referring very specifically to having a proper space for visual branding.

Here are some very well known apps from the App store that have their logo in the top nav bar. Given that allowing this doesn’t compromise your point of view that it’s unnecessary since it would be an option to use the space differently, I am very much in favor of it! :innocent: :relaxed:

![IMG_9934|230x500]

4 Likes

I did say it was common, but they’re not following the guidelines. Certainly not netflix or amazon.
I am pretty sure the UI of instagram is react native and not swift too.

1 Like

Yes, hence my last comment to Glide team to forgive if I am oversimplifying this! I just think it’s important that you know where you are inside an app with a visual cue. I am not familiar with the guideline for sure - as I have personally never published in the stores. Looking forward to when we can do that btw! :stuck_out_tongue:

I am in favour of it too. I just think there are other ways of adding branding. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am open to all options at the moment! do you have an example of what logo at bottom looks like? I have not seen anything similar to that before. Thank you for jumping in to share your thoughts! :blush:

Just added to one of my apps to show.

2 Likes

@Deena I’ve done this with some html and css tricks :speak_no_evil: shh… lol

But, adding to it, I wanna suggest something to complement too

• Ability to have that 3 dots where we can choose some column to get the name, becoming it more dynamic
1 Like

@JackVaughan I tried to send this request in the app but it’s not opening for me

1 Like

Three dot menu literally on my list of feature request that I want to make. Trying to space them out so I’m not annoying the glide team :smiley_cat: I will try this, thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Yeah!! The way you use the space in your apps I like the most! :clap:t3:

1 Like

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I agree, we need to be able to do it without rich text

2 Likes

Ahhhh- Amazing! :raised_hands:t2: How do you get the logo to be positioned in horizontal alignment with the menu bar?!

Links to test if you want

3 Likes

Fantastic - thank you for sharing, I am going to try now! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I’m using html and css to do it, but I’m realizing in some phone as iPhone X, and some other with big screen may be misaligned…

I have iphone 7 and it’s ok as you saw in the print screens… but, try this out

3 Likes

Well, just tried here and it’s ok also for iPhone X screens

2 Likes

These are both really beautiful apps Lucas! You are a very talented UX designer. :raised_hands:t2:

2 Likes

Oh, thanks :relaxed:

2 Likes