What do you think of our new forum?

@George_B I’ve just selected all posts that are relevant to me and copied them in Apple Notes. This way you keep all related links and images (which are big!). it’s not really a solution but works for now…

Faster
Easier
Simple
More powerful

1 Like

Just wondering:
Did you select them one at a time?
Did you save them all as Webpage complete or Webpage, HTML?
Or Print them as PDF’s?
I assume they are for your own reference then.

I’ve been thinking about writing a Python scrapper to put them in some sort of database, then importing them, but after looking at the page source for an hour or so, and looking at the Discourse import API, I suspect that would be a herculean task. It could be done but the time and effort probably wouldn’t be worth it.

Did you select them one at a time?
YES

Did you save them all as Webpage complete or Webpage, HTML?
when copied to Apple Notes it is as a webpage.

Or Print them as PDF’s?
NO

I assume they are for your own reference then.
Well, no. I was thinking of turning them in blog-post.
But I have limited time. As a test, I copied one thread to Notion and made it public. It still needs some editing but this is the fastest way to make a structured website based upon the content, since I have a Notion account. NOtion is not perfect but has all the options you need.
*I think Gitbook, which Glide uses for documentation could also work. But its a lot of work to copy and added everything. *
https://www.notion.so/dahm/Glide-at-Spectrum-a0d1ca56e65f46258ed546a8825d346d

I’ve been thinking about writing a Python scrapper to put them in some sort of database, then importing them, but after looking at the page source for an hour or so, and looking at the Discourse import API, I suspect that would be a herculean task. It could be done but the time and effort probably wouldn’t be worth it.
If you do this make it a separate thing, because this portal is also a test as @JackVaughan mentioned in one of his firsts posts.

Thanks. I didn’t think this was a test instance, just a test. If all goes well I would think this would be the forum. But I could be wrong. What say you @JackVaughan ?

@George_B It’s not a test instance no - this is the new forum. We were just being tentative. We really like it and the feedback so far has been good.

We want to provide a consistent and reliable home for the Glide community and I think Discourse is probably our best bet.

I didn’t think so based on all the work you have done so far. Yeah it is much much better.

1 Like

I’ve not been able to find a “Daily Digest” feature as in Spectrum, where I would receive a daily email of trending topics. I don’t actively follow the forum, except when I have an issue, but there is a lot of value in seeing what is being discussed daily.

Does anyone know whether this is available, and if so, how to turn it on??

Reinier

1 Like

Yes there is. Go to your preferences by selecting the gear icon when you click on the upper right hand corner of your picture (or user first name letter circle) and then go to the email section. At the very bottom you can select daily digests with some options I believe.

1 Like

Hi Jack, I still think it’s important that you have a top pinned post that is the top post that first-time visitors see when they come to the forum. I realize that you guys are deep into getting the product and the community rocking and you’re doing a great job. I’m just thinking about the new arrivals to Glideapps and when they scroll to the bottom of your site and see the Community link, you want them to land on a page that has as the top post some very helpful and friendly insight into what the forum is all about, what the categories mean, and how best to use it. You have to assume that many of your first-time users will not be familiar with Discourse and this “top post” that I speak of gives them the guidance and the confidence that they need to dig in a learn to love Glide and this great community. Just my 2 cents…

1 Like

I forgot to add that the post that you pin to the top should not allow (or need) any ability to comment on it. It’s just there for reference, forever.

I also want to add that maybe the top post can explain how to ask a question with all the necessary details, screen shots, sheet examples, etc. so we can have all the necessary information to help out. Some posts can be kind of vague and I have trouble sometimes trying to figure out what somebody is asking.

2 Likes

@Jeff_Hager @Bob_Monsour yes, great points. I have it on my list. I will get round to it as soon as I can.
Thank you

1 Like

Hi!,

Love the forum. Just feel like a place for people to introduce themselves would be ace.This way people could learn a little about each other and where they are coming from.

Keep up the good work folks!

1 Like

@Phil Nice idea. I almost set this up the other day but got sidetracked. Will chat with the team.

1 Like

Thanks Jack :slight_smile: maybe also a place to put Google sheet tips n tricks. we can get a little catalog of nice spread sheet functions and pre made tools that are most useful for different applications.
Most people will be learning Google sheets as they try to build their apps.

1 Like