⚠️ Unsupported HTML/CSS in the Rich Text component will completely break in the coming weeks

Team - i have no idea how CSS/HTML works so excuse my assumptions :joy:…it is magic that you wizards have crafted and I use blindly. I use @ThinhDinh ‘sticky’ capability to ‘label’ screens and am wondering if that is going to work moving forward cause it is awesome. Like your table methodology @Darren_Murphy - blindly applying someone else’s technique to solve a tricky challenge!

Here are the two examples of Thinh’s work that I am using to ‘stick’ an item to the top of a screen:

div[id*='screenScrollView'] > div > :nth-of-type(1) {
position: -webkit-sticky;
position: sticky;
top: 0;
background: white;
z-index: 3;
}

div[id*='screenScrollView'] > div > :nth-of-type(4) {
position: -webkit-sticky;
position: sticky;
top: 0;
background: white;
z-index: 5;
}

Glad this team is on the job.
1 Like

Ya, sticky still works in NCM with my testing.

6 Likes

The reason I hate the term “no code” is because a lot of times that translates to “you are not allowed to code” instead of “you can do the vast majority of what you want to do without code.” EDIT: I recognize Glide is not anti-code, I am referring to comments from other users above.

Severely limiting the use of CSS would make a for a fundamentally worse product because Glide replacing most of the functionality its users have added for themselves with a beginner-friendly designer UI is a monumental task. It is difficult to offer a no-code interface design software that requires no custom CSS due in large part because most people are terrible at design. Glide’s current editors for Apps and Pages removes the possibility of a “Bad” UI design because it offers such limited options. You pick a single accent color, there are only 3 fonts in existence, the only acceptable hover effect is “a shadow appears” and you can’t turn it off, etc.

The limits are felt most in Pages (unless you join the most expensive plan to get custom CSS) where the Rich Text workaround is already disabled. Its the newer product but has much less customizability even when you don’t factor in CSS workarounds. In Apps you can have 1 of 3 fonts, in Pages you have 1 font to “chose” from.

Certainly, Glide will continue to improve the native customizability as they have said in this very thread but lord help you in the interim if you want to add a hover effect or use more than 1 color.

EDIT: a statement that was in quotation marks was removed, as its not actually a quote from anyone at Glide nor does it necessarily reflect their policy/sentiment.

4 Likes

Please see our JavaScript code column.

We aren’t trying to prevent anyone from using code–this change is an accidental change in internal app structure that may break unsupported CSS queries. Please do not imagine that we have a conspiracy against code, or are acting paternalistically.

Also, your use of quotes looks like you’re attributing a statement to us, but we did not say that.

8 Likes

Hi David! Let me say I really admire your activity with the community. To clarify my sentiment: It is 100% perfectly fine and reasonable, in my view, for an option (not even a “feature”, a workaround) that Glide has explicitly said was not going to be around forever is being diminished in favor of improving the product elsewhere. Your team seems to be improving Apps and Pages.

I will edit my comment, it is disingenuous to imply Glide said what I had in quotes, it is merely my interpretation of functionality not being present and I don’t mean to confuse people into thinking that’s this company’s actual MO. I was more responding to another user further up in this thread whose’ sentiment appeared to be that no CSS is a win-win.

None of the Experts seem to be worried, and that certainly is not a coincidence. While I maintain its disheartening that some wants are simply unresolvable until the Editor adds an option for it, I have not doubts that the team is continuously improving on things to reduce the reliance on CSS-based solutions.

4 Likes

That looks really nice! I’ve was trying to achieve this a few days ago, but the Rich text Custom code was already not working. I hope they will introduce a custom code block or more design features for those who want a bit more control over the design.

1 Like

It’s not supported in Pages, but it should continue to work in Apps (although not officially supported).

3 Likes

I love the way these social icons look!! Could you share with me how this was done??

Hi Katelyn,

You can find that in Thinh’s post here! : Inline List Social Media - #11 by ThinhDinh

Thank you

4 Likes

Hi, @david :slight_smile:
Fortunately, the jury had the time to study my prototype July 18 or after. Or they didn’t bother at all to grant me my PM diploma anyway. Lucky me. I’ll rework my app later.

More seriously, you wrote

“significant changes to Glide’s architecture to make apps faster”

1. Do you by any chance have some metrics for us about the gain? I mean relatively in %, since it depends on bandwidth, region, many customizations, data length, etc.
    It could help “let go the past”. What could be your expected best scenario gain in your roadmap? Enabling apps to scale should be considered a great compensation.

2. How would you articulate the changes that experts & no code agencies here have to answer to their customers? How would you recommend them to officially “sell” the future advantages to show how much they will gain as compared to lose, for example.
    Everything on performance, sustainability, compatibility, integration of external tools…?

Or maybe I’m not viewing from the right angle, so feel free to express how you would do, say, etc.
Thks, David.

1 Like

It turned out to be not as bad as we first thought…

1 Like

I don’t know, @Darren_Murphy but thks (hi, btw! long time no see). Just noticed yesterday that my proto & the lab version for the community does not open anymore on my “door” but the 1st visible item in the “Menu”. I just try to duplicate my door to place it in that spot, just in case. I’ll test thoroughly later. As you know, every test is so time-consuming. And I don’t want to bother the Community with that: you all have enough on your plate! Time is right to reconsider my priorities.

For me, the changes may not be finished, so maybe it’s just temporarily “sparing” the existing CSS/HTML :wink:

Yes, you were doing some pretty funky stuff in that app of yours. So quite possibly some of that might have broken.

1 Like

Is it forseeable meanwhile when the changes will happen?
I d be glad if I could do some planning for making the adjustments

It’s already live for newly created (not copied) apps.
Don’t know when it will be applied to all apps, but expect it will be soon.

1 Like

As of yesterday, existing paid apps are being converted to the new computation model, so I would imagine that within a week or two, everything will be converted and the conversion will be mostly complete. They have been rolling it out for several weeks now. Since I really haven’t seen any complaints, regarding CSS, I would imagine that it’s been a smooth process. I think the worst case is unstable class names may change, but everything else has remained stable. I’m not saying that there won’t be further changes, but if you haven’t noticed anything already, then you are probably fine.

5 Likes

Any way to know (from the Builder) that you are running the NCM?

Just asking for asking sake.

That’s a really good question. During initial testing, a few of us had the ability to enable and disable NCM manually. Beyond that I’m don’t think there is a solid indicator that you are on NCM or not, BUT, I think if you look at the privacy settings, that may be a good clue. I’m guessing that I still have several apps on the old model (I have some legacy legacy stuff). The privacy settings look different on those old apps. Whereas the privacy settings on newer apps looks different. If you have the new privacy settings layout, then you are probably running NCM.

Old vs New:

3 Likes

Pretty Privacy == NCM

Looks like I am NCM…

1 Like

Wow please add this to the top of this topic :rofl:. I nearly had a heart attack! The part that says, its still possible only the component names change :+1: