Terms and Conditions

Hi there! Wondering if anyone found a workaround for displaying T&C’s in the sign-up menu or immediately afterwards. Has the visibility condition been utilized by anyone to solve this?

Really need this feature integrated soon - any ideas?

Best,
Bradley

. Welcome to the community

1. If in Europe use Crazy Egg to create your T&C.
  2. If in US use Termly to create your T&C.

You can then use their URL for your business name to do following.

If app is public nothing to worry about. On the home screen just add the link and require them to read, understand and tick off a box. You can collect the True value in your T&C sheet.

If app is email with public, in the Welcome description text filed add a note with url along the lines of “by continuing to access this app/site you agree to all privacy/cookie policies, which can be found at www.xxx.com”. Not that anyone would be able to click open the link. But at least you can show you asked user to read T&C before signing in by going to the link. If glide could add another text field that allowed a T&C only open link on the sign in screen it would solve all T&C / privacy issues. Don’t know why they have been shying away from what is a very simple fix.

I know with Email with public and the way it’s set up, it’s a bit of a putting the cart before the horse situation. Law is clear, user must consent before submitting email, not after submitting it. Defeats the whole purpose of privacy laws.

You could also set up a simple google business page for free. Add all your privacy/cookies policies and T&Cs. Again, you would need to add the URL in the description field as text.

I know this is not what you wanted to read, but thought would post it. Maybe in certain countries it’s not a huge issue, but in Europe, they can make your life hell.

4 Likes

There are a lot of ways to handle this. A separate sheet to show the T&C as a tab, as a rich text component on the first tab once you sign in…then using a user specific checkbox to hide them once they agree and show other content.

2 Likes

Hi Wiz.Wazeer! Yes, happy to be here :slight_smile:

I am from the US so I may end up utilizing the Termly agreement. Thank you for pointing me there.

To your point, yes I find it odd that Glide hasn’t implemented the feature yet.

Really appreciate your help. I’ll reply here in case I get snagged again.

1 Like

Hi Jeff_Hager,

That’s a great idea. Using the visibility conditional that you mentioned, does that have to be within the same data tab?

Best,
Bradley

1 Like

Yes, it would be within the same tab. You can either create a column in the sheet with the text or you can add text directly to a rich text component. For a checkbox, you will need to create a new boolean column in the glide data editor and set it to user specific. Create a checkbox below the T&C for the user to accept. This will store the checkbox value unique to each signed in user, but in the same column cell.

Your suggestion is good for public apps, not for sign in with email. The legal position is that consent is required before submitting email. You can’t require some1 to sign in and then read your privacY/cookie policy. By then you have already violated privacy laws. Maybe the privacy laws are less strict in the US than in Europe. Need to brush up on this.

1 Like

That would definitively get you into trouble with GDPR regulations in the EU. A checkbox before submitting personal data such as an email address to confirm consent is essential—and that leaves the whole issue of glideapp’s data processing aside. I haven’t really found any decent information on glideapp’s website, but I can imagine that it’s currently pretty difficult if not illegal to hand a (public) glideapp to a consumer without extensive legwork for T&C.

1 Like

Welcome to the community!

Absolutely! That’s what I was suggesting too. But with public apps you have leeway to the extent that you can require visitors, just as we would in the case of websites, to give free consent before heading to the main tabs. Here Jeffs solution works. You make the consent tab your home screen (not ideal). As soon as they open app, they find themselves looking at a blank screen with privacy boxes etc. They consent and move on.

But public with email, no way round it really unless your prepared to lose visitors by asking them to visit another website just to read your privacy terms.

Thanks :slight_smile: Ah yes, in that case, it works. But I’m not sure about glideapp as a data processor in the sense of gdpr. Does anyone know about that?

Glide has no contract with us as such. Ultimately they are vicariously liable for anything that goes wrong. Such a simple fix. Check out their privacy and user terms.