Shouldnt I be able to choose this LookUpColumn?

Thanks again!

1 Like

If every action would be seen as a customizable action, that would be great!

1 Like

It can.
In fact, personally I always create custom actions.

I understand, but wouldn’t Glide work better / be more logical if custom actions would then be the default? You then choose one action or a series. Now Glide pushes the single actions to the front. If Glide prefers that, it would help the user if he /she could customize actions later on in the process. People don’t always know upfront what they need.

Yeah, I kind of agree with this. Especially when you have actions like “show new screen” or “show form”, which includes building a new flow with multiple components further down the road, then a custom action would make it easier to manage.

At least it was much harder before we have the ability to copy components.

True, but as you know, I am the typical user :wink:

This feels good, but where I expect an Edit Screen on the left side, it acts like a form screen in the sense that it doesnt fill the data in the existing row, but in a new row. Any idea what I do wrong?

You’ve got “Show Edit Screen” and “Show Form Screen” in the same action sequence (the left hand side).

That doesn’t make sense. You should choose one or the other.

I suspect that what happens is that the Edit Screen opens, and then the Form Screen opens on top of it (depending on how you set the targets). So if you click back or close the Form screen, you’ll probably find yourself on the Edit Screen.

1 Like

To me, it does make sense though ;-). First I want a user to edit personal data in the user tab, after that I want a user to subscribe to skates and choose size etc and add a row in the subscription tab. So 2 different actions in two different tabs.
Why does that make no sense in the Glide world? :wink:

@Darren_Murphy what would be the right way / sequel to accomplish what I want?

Well, you’d need to split it up into two separate steps.

I’m assuming that the left hand side is supposed to trigger if their user profile is not complete, yes?

So the first step in that case should be to direct them to their User Profile so they can enter the missing data. And then you can direct them to the next step - the Form Screen.

The way to do that so that it flows naturally for your users is to use an On Submit action on your Edit screen. This one would do the second two steps that you have in your current action sequence. That is, Set Column Values in your User Profile, and then Show the Form Screen.

1 Like

Ah OK! I am going to try that! Thanks!
But to better understand this, why does what I tried to do not make sense? It is an action-submit and after that another action-submit, to me as a no-coder this feels completely logical :wink:

Well, because when you create a series of actions, Glide doesn’t know (and can’t know) that you want it to stop somewhere in the middle and wait for the user to do something. Glide is good, but it’s not that good :wink:

Well, in my view I tell Glide precisely what to do:

1. Open the User Profile row and force the user to add data.
  2. On submit set column value in user profile.
  3. After that open form to choose / add data.
  4. On submit go back to page.
    What is unclear here?
    I try to understand, so maybe it helps me to become better at it :wink:

But maybe you’re right that Glide doesnt know where the form should go. I thought I directed this in the editor?

hehe, I’m really not sure what to say. I understand where you’re coming from, but that’s just not how custom action sequences work. When an action sequence is triggered, all steps in the sequence will be fired immediately.

What would you expect Glide to do if the user just closed the edit form at the first step without doing anything? Should it continue on? How would it know?

Apart from the fact that this is not the way it works, it’s just a better practise to break these sorts of things into multiple steps. This gives you the opportunity to re-evaluate the status at the end of each step, and create additional logic to cater for things that the user might do that weren’t intended or expected.

thanks, i’ll try to do that!

There’s a simple solution. Learn to write code and then you can code an app to do whatever you want. :wink: Until then we gotta play by Glide’s rules. Currently glide executes all actions all at the same time. Unfortunately there is no wait action to wait for the user to do something in between these actions. I would love something more robust too, but the process also has to be easy for the user to understand when building out custom actions.

But in all seriousness, one thing I would try is to flip your screens around in the action. First open the Form screen followed by opening the Edit screen. I know the Form screen is a pop-up modal, so it may always try to be on top of the underlying screen, but I’m not sure about the Edit screen, which may be a popup modal or it may be showing on the main screen. If they are both pop up modals, then it might be possible to open the Form screen first, then the Edit screen will layer on top of it. Once the Edit screen is closed, then the form screen that is already opened will be exposed. Not sure if it will work, but it’s something to try. If it does work, then there may be the possibility that they will open in the wrong order on occasion, but I’m not sure.

It’s kind of the same with floating buttons. If you have two floating buttons, and one of them has conditional visibility or a complex action sequence that determines its visibility, then regardless of the order you intend to show the floating buttons, the last one to become visible will always display as the bottom floating button. I don’t like it, but that’s just the way it is.

2 Likes

I only do suggestions.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for helping me!

1 Like