Selective edit of a form submission?

This is a good source for understanding custom forms that use user specific columns as temporarily placeholders.

In general I usually use user specific columns for some UI control, so for example, I have a choice component that controls the visibility of other components that display on the screen (kind of like tab navigation, but my own version). All users can view the same main records, but I don’t want one user to change the choice component and have it affect all other users. That’s where user specific columns come in to hold each user’s choice independent of anybody else.

Much like the choice component in this image. Multiple people can view the same student, but what is displayed is controlled by the choice component and each user can view different sections for the same student without affecting other users viewing the same student.

If multiple people can change a value in the same row, without others being able to view it and keeping it unique for each user, then that’s when you want to use user specific columns. If everybody should be able to see the change, then you don’t want to use user specific columns. It’s one of those things that I think is fairly obvious when you do or do not need to use it.

3 Likes