Search by column

Hi All,

tl;dr: I have two columns with numbers. A Long Serial number (Visitor Unique ID, 6-9 figures long)) and a short serial number (Sequential ID 1-999 figures long).

I often need to search for a Short Serial Number, but this one very often appear in the Long Serial Number making it really difficult finding the row I need containing the Short Serial Number.

This is the relevant structure.
Long Serial Number, Short Serial Number
847267639, 673

I’m new to Glide but I do have some experience with now and low-code tools.
I’m finding it hard to understand how to solve my issue, Does anyone have any suggestion on what I should do? Making a column specific search was, I thought, a basic feature.

I appreciate all your help in advance! Thank you.

You would have to build your own search functionality. A text entry component pointing to a user specific column, then either a query column that filters based on the entered user specific value, or a single value column in your data that retrieves that user specific value so you can use it to compare to your short serial number in a filter.

Thank you for the quick answer, Jeff!

However, I’m not sure I quite follow and understand what my next steps should be.

I’ve just tried both options you suggested but got a little lost in the logic of it.

What do you have so far?

I have my data in a collection and a text input named “Search Input” above it

I created a user-specific column and connected the text input to it.

I have a filter on the data collection that compares my Short Serial to the User Specific column.

But I feel like I’m missing something essetial to the process.

Sounds like you are close. Is it not filtering the collection properly? How is your filter configured?

I’m sure I am close.

This is the screenshot of my filter. The word “סידורי” means “Serial” in Hebrew.

I tried it from different directions and I see that the text being put in the text input isn’t really going anywhere, which is the reason I think for this not to work properly at the moment.

Ok. One thing I would possibly suggest doing is change the operator fro ‘equals’ to ‘includes’. Then change your second dropdown to use the Screen Value.

Assuming the that you have the user specific column in the same table as the data you are searching, you have it comparing the two columns in each row, but if you use the ‘Screen’ value, then it will compare each row in the collection to just the row your screen is attached to (most likely the first row).

1 Like

Jeff,
You have helped me go to sleep quietly today. This worked beautifully.

Thank you so so very much!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.