Related Detail screen within a Detail screen

I would to create an action which:

• Creates a new row in a separate table which will then be a single relation to the original line item.
  • And then have the Data appear as seamless within the original screen for the user to input data - as if it’s the same detail screen.
    Like this:

I don’t want them to edit the actual row as I won’t know what the original data was -
Additionally; The reason I don’t have just 2 more columns for the user to edit is because:
a. The table is read only (data is being synced from BigQuery to Google sheets via Connected sheets.

So essentially, because it’s just a single relation, why not be able to have the list screen be a detail screen instead of another click away?

(Yes, I’m obsessed with simplicity for the users… )

1 Like

If I understand your case correctly: you could, thanks to a custom button (Edit), display input components based on USC columns in your line item screen, and then, only afterwards, add the new row in the other table thanks to another custom button (Add).

The first button (Edit) sets the visibility of the USC input components,
The second button (Add) has linked an Add Row action to your second table.

If I understand correctly and if you need further clarification let me know.
Bye

Assuming you have a value in your big query table that’s unique but never changes (such as Item ID, or item Name)…

• First I would use that unique key value to link the big query data to a similar key column in the edit table using a single relation.
  • Add two Lookup columns to get the Qty and Unit values from the relation.
  • Then I would create two user specific columns that will be used to temporarily hold Quantity and Unit values later.
  • On your Big Query Item list, create a custom action:
    • Add an IF statement to first check if the relation is empty.
    • If empty, then add an Add Row action to create a new row in the edit table and pass through the item ID/Name.
    • Follow the Add Row action with a Show Details action. This will create a new row in your edit table only if one does not exist.
    • On the Else side of the IF statement, first add a Set Column action which will fill the user specific columns with the values from the lookup columns. Follow that action with the Show Details action.
  • On the Item detail screen, add two entry components that will display the value from the user specific Qty and Unit columns. This is what a user will be allowed to change.
  • Add a submit button with an action that will take the user specific values and write them to the edit table through the relation.

With this setup, the big query table can change and load based on the big query data. When you view the details for the big query list items, the custom action will create a new row in the Edit table only if necessary. If a row exists, it will fill the user specific columns with the values from the Edit table. You will display the user specific columns on the detail screen and the user will be able to edit them through the entry components. When the user finally clicks on submit, it will update the existing row in the Edit table with the new values. This way you can still keep the Big Query and Edit tables separate, but connected through the relation…and you can edit the values in the Edit table while still viewing the details of the Big Query table. To the user, it should be seamless, as if they are only working with one single table.

This is an example for something, but kind of similar: