RANK VIA New data columns

Trying to find a way to RANK in the GLIDE data editor. Anyways of doing this with the newly released data columns.
Cheers

Hi, jason :slight_smile:
How about elaborating 1st what outcome you are expecting, like
The min max Rank and how they look like (icons, colors, numbers, stars, alpha, number, etc.), how many in all max you expect to show at once to anticipate on the layout.
What are the items you wish to rank from the shortest to the longest.
How will the items be input: manually by users? In Glide tables or Google Sheets?
In short, provide us with a ā€œvisualā€.
With whoever needs to input and see/print/export? this POV.
The original data (an idea of the amount of text if itā€™s text)
The criteria to sort/rank
The expected outcome & output to ā€œseeā€ the ranking and what to do with them (screen only, printout, export, share, etc)
It will also help you clarify whatā€™s in your mind.
And maybe you can already find out directly from this analysis how to do it.
Just by elimination of the existing options.
Thks & Enjoy the job :slight_smile:

Oh: and what is the exact value that this ranking should bring you. Is it accurate to serve your purpose & worth the ranking?

Thanks, L.M.
Iā€™m putting together a leader board that ranks Point. This is achievable in sheets but I am stuck on how to achieve this in the data editor.

1 Like
2 Likes

Awesome Jeff. Iā€™ve got that working but with one snag. The placings skip from 1st to 3rd. I understand the points are tied at the moment, this was intentional to see how this situation would display.
The guys with 98 points are correctly ranked as 1st but the guys with 96 points are displayed as 3rd rather than second.
Please advise.

Iā€™d be curious to see @Robert_Petittoā€™s response to this since he put together the tutorial. I havenā€™t put it into practice myself, so Iā€™d have to analyze his method in detail to give a good answer.

Are you saying that 2nd place is skipped and the tie is giving you 3rd and 4th rankings, or do you have two 3rd place rankings?

In real life scenarios, I seem to recall that Iā€™ve observed ties as usually having both given the lower ranking as opposed to the higher ranking, so in your case, 2nd place would be skipped. But of course, thatā€™s up for interpretation.

Hm. So you have two tied for 1st and the next person shows as 3rd because their point value is located in the third ā€œslotā€ in the array. Might need to remove all duplicates in the original array before determining the array position.

1 Like

This worked!

4 Likes

Awesome!

1 Like

I Will try that.
Cheers

This has worked a treat. Jeff shared earlier.
Things seem to be coming together.
My next issue is performing the ranking whilst separating my userā€™s into three distinct categories.
Open/ Competitive/ Elite.

You know, when I read this thread the other day I did a bit of a double-take, because Bobā€™s interpretation of it seemed intuitively wrong to me. Iā€™m used to what happens in Professional Golf, where ranking is used to determine the ā€œcut lineā€ after the first two rounds. They usually have a rule that is something like ā€œthe top 60 places plus tiesā€ make it through to the final two rounds. Itā€™s quite common to have 10 or more golfers tied in 60th place. The next one after that is never referred to as 61st. Theyā€™ll always be 71st, or 75th, or whatever the case may be - with all placings skipped for the number of tied golfers.

Anyway, I kept my mouth shut the other day. But itā€™s been bugging me so I just looked it up. Turns out there are at least five different methods of interpreting ties when it comes to rankings. Bobā€™s method here is referred to as ā€œDense Rankingā€, my golf example is ā€œStandard Competition Rankingā€, and yours is ā€œModified Competition Rankingā€.

Itā€™s quite interesting, if youā€™re into these sorts of details :smiley:

I would argue that ā€œStandard Competition Rankingā€ makes more sense for leaderboards by using an extreme example. Imagine you have 100 people running a marathon, and by some incredible coincidence 99 of them dead heat for first with exactly the same time - 2 hours neat. The lone straggler comes in 1 hour behind the rest. He came dead last in a 100 person race. Does he also get the silver medal for coming second? :thinking: :joy:

Also, just as an aside, the RANK function in Google Sheets appears to use the ā€œStandard Competition Rankingā€ method.

It appears that the Olympics also uses the same method. At Tokyo 2021 there was a tie for the Gold Medal in the Mens High Jump. Both athletes received a gold medal, and the next medal awarded was the bronze medal - the silver was skipped.

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 8.50.45 AM

3 Likes

I love that you researched this. Standard Competition Ranking makes the most sense to me tooā€¦@jason_palmer was asking for Dense Ranking, so I was just giving a solution I thought would work.

2 Likes

Very interesting to learn that there is a difference and the potential applications.
I agree that Standard competition ranking is a good approach for what I am trying to achieve.
That being said I would value any advice on how best to achieve this in that data sheet.
Cheers.

Just follow this:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.