Protected Columns

:new: If your app is on a paid plan you can now use protected columns. Protected columns allow you to add an extra layer of security to your data. How does it work? Mark a column as protected and Glide will hide it, making it impossible to be loaded inside your app or the Data Editor. :closed_lock_with_key:

Learn more :arrow_right: https://gl.ink/pc

7 Likes

Hello,
Great
How does it work: Pro Public & Pro Private or Pro Private only?

Super.
Can protected columns be used for logic, relations, etc.? Or they simply are hidden from glide entirely?

I have updated the description as it wasn’t clear - this feature is available in all paid plans.

1 Like

They are completely hidden from Glide. The data cannot be used at all.

1 Like

So Glide can’t read these columns? Then can you explain the use case please?

Let’s say you want to onboard users, asking for sensitive data, but you don’t plan on using the data in your app (SSN, Address, etc). This info can still be collected in the spreadsheet without using it in the app.

1 Like

I guess so, perhaps if your app was using a customer’s sheet to collect data?

Correct.

1 Like

Or, if you’re using a massive spreadsheet filled with lots of unneeded data for the app, make all those protected and Glide won’t download the data theoretically making the app lighter?

Yup. I see that. Just watched @JackVaughan video too. Quite useful. Let’s see how this all pans out but it seems a very positive step in the right direction.

Does making a “protected” column in the GDE remove it from your row count / speed up refresh times?

I don’t think that’s the case regarding the row count, it’s a column not a row. Other columns contributing to your data will still eat a row.

1 Like