Notify users about new content

In case it’s helpful, I didn’t use CSS. I just used an if/then column to display either the normal details text or the new post message, depending on the timestamp comparison mentioned earlier.

thanks. Perhaps can share a screen shot so I can see if it is what I am looking to achieve.

Sure. Here’s the main menu with no new posts:

and here’s the main menu after a new post is added:

2 Likes

Firstly make sure you add the pre/span/style tags in your rich text.

Then change {N} to the number you want to display and Notifications to the tab name you want to display this effect.

1 Like

Do we have to exchange the number manually each time we update the content or can it be extracted automatically from the updated sheet?

This is very very good advice. I’ve learned the hard way that it’s almost always best to start with a details layout, even if all you want to do is display a single list.

4 Likes

You can use Rollup Columns to count things.

1 Like

Thanks Thinh. Managed to display by changing the N. How do we link to the Glide Table to make it dynamic?

Put the CSS in a template column and replace the {N} with a rollup column value. Then point the rich text component to that template column.

2 Likes

thanks. It works, but it only shows when you click that particular TAB. How to make it show up without having to click on the TAB. This will make it easier for the user when they log in and just go to the TAB with new contents.

1 Like

You have to put that code in every details view of all tabs, there’s no other way.

Each TAB will have different Data source. So if we put in every TAB, we need to do relation to pull the template to “User” data? Otherwise template won’t be accessible when you click on Tab 2 (for example)

1 Like

There is a simple way to do it… just make all tabs visibility off when there is a notification… and one tab with the notification message, visibility on, once user read the message, will click button to dismiss it on set visibility back

4 Likes

If you don’t want to use @uzo’s suggestion, then another way to do it is to add it to your User Profiles table as a Single Value column. It then becomes a “global” value that you can directly reference anywhere in your app.

2 Likes

yes. either way, I still need to do a relation column from Users TAB to other TABS in order to collect the dynamic data, correct?

No.
Any value in your User Profiles table can be used in any component or action without the need for any relations or lookups.

Edit: hmm, maybe I misread your question. Yes, you need to do the original calculation in the table where the data for the dynamic count resides. Then you take the result of that and import it to your User Profiles table as a Single Value column. And then, you can use that Single Value column anywhere.

2 Likes

yes. that is what I meant. Ok will get to it. Thanks everyone for your patience and guidance.

This is exactly the way I did it for that app.

2 Likes

@Uzo any code snippet can share for this method?

There is no code, just simple visibility on and off when you post message on the global column, use single value column to copy message from your user sheet, add timestamp column and users can add there time stamp when dismissing message, when users timestamps is later than message… visibility back to on

2 Likes