Multilingual

I am planning to work on a multilingual app (English, Arabic & Hebrew) , what would be the best approach for building a multi-lingual interface? Kindly note that Google translate is not a preferred option as translation often changes the sentence meaning.

1 Like

I also want to provide multilingual apps to my users.

You can’t use Google translate, indeed. First because it may be approximative, and second because the app text would translate upon user A selection. If user B select another language, it will be change for any user.

The best approach, so far, is to duplicate all tabs in your sheet and your app. And provide a link somewhere to your users so that they will point to the pages with their wished language.

This selection could be done via images or an inline list, for examples.

@Aj2666 man, Try this one

https://community.glideapps.com/t/slide-os-an-os-for-mini-no-code-apps/2621?u=lucas_pires

The app by @ionamol demonstrate this multilingual feature in the menu tab https://thelab.glideapp.io/

2 Likes

Hi @Aj2666, as @Lucas_Pires said, I’ve experimented with a multi-language app, the only thing I would change for a customer app is creating a per user input to prevent language changing for all the users. I recommend using Google Translate to generate the 1st version and your own review to create the final version, the best way is to have all the content in the 3 languages already in the sheets because the “real-time” translation would take too long to update the content (as shown in my example), then you just need to create the necessary visibility rules to show the correct content.

1 Like

Hi,
I look for a way to align text to the right RTL, for multilingual app.
Is it possible to configure it?
Thank for your kind answer
Ran09

@ran09 I use html tags

e.g. "<div dir=”rtl” align=”right”> ….</div>"

But please keep in mind that html tags are not supported

@david, @Jeff_Hager, @JackVaughan, @Mark any suggestions?

1 Like

Thanks @Aj2666
I know the tags. Where do you put these tags if it is not supported?
What did I missed?
I need the hole list to be aligned to the right
Ran09

I think I have an idea that might work but is very time consuming and would be further complicated if you had to edit an rows.

You would first need a profile or settings sheet where each user could see only their own record and where they could select their language preference.

I think this would require having three columns for a single piece of data that would normally be in one column. Each column heading would be translated in each language that you would be dealing with. So if you had a column for an address, it would become three columns for the same address, but would contain different headings in different languages.

In each sheet you would create 3 more columns with the Language for the heading name. Fill all of the rows with the Language name as well. You would end up with an English, Arabic and Hebrew column and each row under the heading would contain the values English, Arabic and Hebrew.

Now that you have the 3 language columns, create 3 relation columns to link each language to the profile/settings sheet. Then create a lookup column against each relation to get all of the emails that match the language that each user selected.

When designing your pages, you will have 3 components for each piece of data (ex. address).

Then you will apply visibility to each component based on signed in user from the associated lookup column.

This should allow you to select English in the profile sheet and then only English columns will show. Select Arabic and only Arabic columns will show.

Like I said, not the greatest solution, but if you really have the need, it’s an option.

4 Likes

I also need the translation feature. I think as Glide is growing, there will be more and more customer who will need to translate glide app in various languages.

I’ve designed something (screenshot) but it’s just an idea.

Jeff - I have something that I’ve been sitting on for a while, that I believe could provide a good foundation for building multi-lingual apps in Glide. Been toying with the idea of releasing it as a template, but I’d really like somebody more knowledgable/experienced than me to review it first. Would you be willing to do that? (I’d make a copy available to you). I guess my hesitation (fear) at the moment is that if I toss it out there, somebody will look at it and say “well, that’s just dumb” :rofl:

1 Like

Exemple for #BetaTesting :slight_smile: for a #LexicalTool :smiley:
! > Previously the user chooses between two languages ​​to display on the screen

Yes, it’s really good btw

1 Like

i need to learn how u did this! congrats for that multi language tab. thx

1 Like

This is the solution l am using but yes it is time consuming. It is not completed yet but whenever l have time l duplicate my component and add the new languages, arabic included…
It works well…

1 Like

Keep in mind, my thought process at that time was with the features that we had 2 years ago. A whole lot has changed since then, so I would assume that there are much more efficient ways to do it, such as single components that pull both a dynamic header name and a column value straight from the table. Probably with some IF columns to control which language to show for the column header and the value.

3 Likes