How to get a value from a relation, unchanged in time?

sorry, I am, even more, lost now LOL… why do you have any budget restrictions for past expenses? just record what was your budget back then, and it will be only for presentation purposes… for the current and future expenses, all budget restrictions may apply…
I have to go… I see @Darren_Murphy has an idea of what you doing… good luck guys

Actually, just thinking about this a bit more, you probably could still use the first approach.

The logic would be something like this:

• If there are no expenses for a given sub-category for the selected month, then find the most recent expense for that category that’s on or before the selected month, and use the budget value from that row.
  • If there are no expenses at all for the given sub-category, then use the current budget value.

Implementation could get a bit tricky, but again I think it should be doable.

1 Like

That’s the goal !

Thank you for your help and your time, that’s what make this community go forward, appreciate it a lot !

Humm I see what you mean that’s a good idea (and I prefer this approach, no new rows & tab) !

I’ll dig into that and try something in glide, I’ll keep you updated, thanks again !

Hey @ Darren_Murphy,

Based on your idea, I managed to implement a slightly different solution allowing me to have monthly/yearly budget that doesn’t evolve even if in the future I modify the sub-categories’ budget.

In my monthly tab (month + year), I now have two different calculation for the budget :

• Actual budget : the sum of my sub-categories’ budget in real time. A simple rollup from the relation between the selected sub-categories and the sub-category tab.

• Fixed budget : the same value above but at the creation of the month (or edit). It means that this value won’t change even if the actual budget changes. I then use this value to calculate my yearly budget.

The only thing is that if I create months long in advance the fixed budget won’t change unless I updated the month. But no big deal since I create them month by month.

I’ve tested it and it seems to work, will see after a few months of use if it’s the case !
Thanks a lot for your help ! :handshake:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.