Group Tables

It took me a while, but I’m starting to use and really appreciate the ability to group columns together in the Data Editor. Going a step further, would it be possible to Group Tables/Sheets? I often have multiple tables related to the same feature, and it would be nice to have them grouped visually in the editor.

@Kyan_Lynch yes, it will be helpful especially when there’re lot of tables and some of them are for same purpose.

Cool idea! How would you group them?

Nice idea :+1:

Just pointing out (in case you’re not aware of it) that it is possible to re-arrange your tables in the editor by clicking and dragging…

1 Like

I was thinking similar to the columns, with Name/Table gathering all tables with Name/ prefix. The ability to expand and collapse groups of tables would help too, for easier navigation and a greater sense of organization.

1 Like

Yes, I was aware but I appreciate you sharing, too!

No, I mean, specifically to your apps, what would the specific groups be?

Just speaking for myself, I would probably create functional groupings of tables. In fact, I already do this to some extent. I have one very large app with over 100 tables that is used for (mostly) workforce management. I’ve been naming my tables in a similar way that I name columns. For example, I have a number of tables that are used to drive role based dashboards. Each of these gets a dashboard/ prefix:

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 10.57.47 AM

Another set of tables are used for reporting. These get a rep/ prefix:

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 10.58.00 AM

If these behaved in a similar way that columns do, where similarly prefixed table names get grouped, and you could expand/collapse groups, that would be pretty awesome.

4 Likes

@david like Prodn/BOM, Prodn/Issue For Prodn, Prodn/Receipt From Prodn etc.

Yes, I imagined doing something very similar. Basically grouping tables that house related data or data that contribute to the same feature in the app

Love it!

+1 On this. @david Any movement on this?