Find the last day of the following month

What is this wizardry. Hats off.

2 Likes

@Darren_Murphy Hehe, yeah, sometimes a person can end up in a weird place, like we did with the character counter a few weeks ago, but I agree, these kinds of challenges are fun and really do make you try to think out of the box. In my head, I’ve already decided a solution is possible, so it’s hard to stop working on one once I’ve started.

Oh…I see COBOLGolf as an option. Now there’s a true challenge to write short code in COBOL, but I don’t know if I want to subject myself to that kind of torture.

@Robert_Petitto if you get stuck, let me know.

2 Likes

Great @Jeff_Hager What a Solution!

1 Like

@Jeff_Hager how would you calculate the Ordinal Date using Glide math? (I know I could do it with my usual brute force approach, but…)

Try this:

FLOOR(275 * MONTH(date)  / 9)
-
(FLOOR((MONTH(date) + 9) / 12)
(1 + FLOOR((YEAR(date) - 4 * FLOOR(YEAR(date) / 4) + 2) / 3)))
+
DAY(date)
-

Don’t ask how it works, because I don’t know. Found it here.
https://www.epochconverter.com/daynumbers

Also found some other formulas on other sites, but didn’t quite understand how to make it work in glide.

I thought I would maybe need a seed date column with a Jan 1st to calculate from, but this way works without a seed date.

5 Likes

Yes!!! Thank you!

This is what I needed it for…

7 Likes

Nice! That’s pretty slick.

3 Likes

yeah, I’m pretty happy with it.
The stacked bar charts are generated on the fly using quickchart.io
It’s amazing how fast that is.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve used quickcharts a few times. I like them a lot.

Just curious, would you have been able to accomplish the same thing in a more cumbersome way by incrementing days by adding or subtracting the increment value from a date, then converting dates to string dates without time using a template column, then using those dates for a relation? Doing it with ordinals is probably a lot easier, but I’m just trying to picture a way in my head without ordinals, because I probably would have approached it differently. Using ordinals does give me some new ideas though. Especially by taking that ordinal and adding (year*1000) to get a value like 2021024 for today’s ordinal number.

1 Like

You are a wizard :woman_mage: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

2 Likes

You beauty :+1:

1 Like

Mind blown :exploding_head:

1 Like

Yes, I tried a few different approaches before deciding that ordinals was the way to go.
I started off just trying to compare dates, but of course that didn’t work because NOW() is a constantly moving target. So then I started down the route of using templates to convert the date to a fixed string, but that got messy so I abandoned that idea. Then I decided that the best way to do direct comparisons was to first convert the dates into numbers. So I started with that by just doing Day(date), which worked but broke when I hit the month boundaries. Which finally led me to ordinals, and that’s where you came in :slightly_smiling_face:

The ordinals will break at the year boundaries, but…

You solved that problem for me as well :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

May I ask for a little help please… based on this solution I’m trying to achieve
The same day one month later, and I used this (basically adding the days in my date to the end of this month:

((date-DAY(date)+15)+60)
-
DAY((date-DAY(date)+15)+60)
+
DAY(date)

And it kind of works except when my date is Jan 30 it will not respect February

Is there an easy way to simply get +1 month? Next week is super simple, but I couldn’t figure this out.

heh… I posted a video about 10 minutes ago that shows how to do this :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

@Darren_Murphy @Jeff_Hager

I had missed this one. Wow, your solution Jeff is so elegant. I learnt so much from reading this thread. Thanks :pray:

1 Like

hehe, my 43 columns to Jeff’s one possibly not my finest hour :rofl:

Here’s Jeff “the column monster” dealing with all my superfluous columns…

3 Likes