Custom form problem with column User specific (public app without email)

Hi Glide community,

I was very proud of myself by creating for the first time a custom form with button action in my public app. If it looks well on the glide platform it is not working when someone else is using it despite the user specific column used. However if I set-up my app with public app with email sign-in option it works.

Basically, all the form created through the button by default action “open form” are working when the public app is set-up only public but the form I created with " create action" (add row, set-up column value…) with button is not.

I know it is connected to the sign-in aspect but I don’t understand why the “by default” open form button action works in a public app (without email) but not mine. What setting or action I need to add in order to be able to use “my” custom form.

Below a quick video Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software

Can you explain what exactly is not working?

Hi @Jeff_Hager,

So, If someone install my current app (public without email). My form screen for VOLLEY MATCHS button connect to a white screen completely empty…but all other “by default” form work perfectly. Only my custom button form is not working

=> https://pe-database-jleblanc.glideapp.io/

Now if I change my app as public with email, everything is working perfectly and my button Volley MATCHS (data entry tab) is working and submit data to my spreadsheet. So my this settings change the way by VOLLEY MATCHS BUTTON is working.

I hope I’m clear

So the problem that you are having is that the screen is empty??? I wasn’t sure, because your screenshots and video only show what appears to be the app working correctly. It just needs to be clear what is not working when you say “it’s not working”. I didn’t realize that is was a problem with an empty screen. Based on what you showed, I thought maybe you had an issue with the submit button, but the submit button must be working correctly?

Do you have visibility conditions on the components on the screen? Can you show what those conditions are? I think I have an idea. I think you are checking for ‘false’ for some of your components. You should never ever check for ‘false’. You should only check for ‘true’ or ‘not true’. A boolean column can be in one of three states. ‘blank’, ‘false’, or ‘true’. If you are checking for ‘false’ instead of ‘not true’, then you are ignoring the possible condition of ‘blank’, which will always be the case since your app is public. User Specific columns on a public app will always reset to blank when you close the app. When you sign in, it’s probably using the last saved value for the boolean, which may be ‘false’ instead of ‘blank’, so it happens to work for you when you are signed in. I would be willing to bet that if a brand new user signed into the app, it also would not work, because the default value of that switch boolean column is blank. I would have tried to sign into your app, but it doesn’t appear to be showing the hamburger menu, so I can’t sign it to test that theory. I think your problem is that have visibility conditions that check for ‘false’, but instead should check for “is not ‘true’”.

Your other forms work correctly because you are using the native glide form, which does not use user specific columns, and doesn’t appear to have the same visibility conditions (based on the switch) that you have in your custom form.

3 Likes

Hi @Jeff_Hager,

You were right. I put a switch button with a false visibility inside my custom form. I removed it and everything is now “working” perfectly. So thank you very much.
By the way I don’t get the reason/difference between my custom Form action button and the "by default "open form button action who can explain this situation BUT the most important is to be able to use my app…and use my first custom form action :slight_smile:

Thank you again for your ALWAYS precious and QUICK help!

1 Like

A custom form is quite different from the native form. A custom form is just a detail screen that needs to be attached to an existing row and all values are written to the table as you type. A native form does not need an existing row. All values are stored temporarily and locally withing the form until you click on submit, which will then write the values to the sheet. The term “custom form” is just a made up term by us users. In reality, it’s just a detail screen with editable entry components. Think of it this way…a custom form is just an editiable view detail screen where you are making changes to an existing row. The action button just takes those same values that were written to your “form” table, and writes them to another sheet through the add row action. Custom forms and native forms are completely different things.

Your problem was just a visibility condition based on that switch value. I’m assuming that your other native forms did not have the same switch or visibility conditions. Your button to open the custom form was showing the form, but because of the way you had the visibility conditions set up, it just wasn’t showing any components.

2 Likes