Create numeric order in glide sheets

I need to create a dynamic numeric order. I don’t think this will work.

1 Like

No, I want the entire system to exist only in Glide sheets. All formulas and actions are only in sheets. Nothing in Google.

1 Like

How are rows being added in this tab? Is it through a Glide form?

currently yes, but can be done otherwise, I’m just starting this idea.

The goal here is to create a dynamic looped timer that rotates people in a list that can also be removed and when removed the timer restarts. Or if the timer ends it rotates a name to the bottom and restarts on it’s own. It might take 30 columns to recreate this formula but I will get it figured out. I can do it in excel with 3 cells of 40 character long formulas, I can do it in sheets with the same, and it only takes 15 lines of code in google scripts. Glide is the next attempt.

1 Like

I thing Glide really needs to create a Rank function. Whether it is it’s own column type, or part of a Math, Rollup, or Single Value column. Something that just works similar to the RowID column and populates automatically.

It would also be nice to have options for dynamic renumbering when a row is deleted, as well as static numbers if you want the number to be permanent. Or base it off a relation to get a unique set of ranks within a group.

1 Like

I agree. I requested for a feature that we can make the if then else columns allow us to put compound actions as results of the if then else. That would literally make Glide the most powerful no code solution out there.

1 Like

Or maybe a “relate if” column which is similar to sumif and countif

1 Like

What would be the trigger to execute the compound action? Just a value change on the row or a change in the resulting condition of the IF THEN? Just brainstorming what would prevent the actions from running over and over again unnecessarily.

Yes. it could be anything, a value changing somewhere in another sheet, a file uploaded, a timestamp becoming 24 hours old, etc.

1 Like

@Manan_Mehta YES! I’ve wanted this so bad.

1 Like

@Drearystate I imagine it could almost follow similar behind the scenes logic of the API column.

I think it would be almost as easy as flipping a switch from the compund actions button press. Think about it, the code is already there for the trigger to exist if a button is pressed. The same code can be duplicated and setup to trigger if criteria is met, thats all the button press is a crteria of the button being pressed.

1 Like

Yes this could be a game changer for so many things. Especially this specific use case.

3 Likes

That would be awesome!

(This response applies to both or your posts @Drearystate, @Manan_Mehta) :wink:

3 Likes

Its been a while since this idea was discussed so wondering if there’s a way to do ranks or increments based on certain conditions. Here’s my use case.
I have a list of 25 locations (say Location A- Location Y) ordered by a column 'Route Stop #‘s’ (1-25). So the google sheet looks like this:
Stop # Location Name
1 Location A
2 Location B

Some locations are on or off the route for the week. I want a dynamic column which generates another number based on where that location falls on that week’s route. For for e.g. Say location B which is master route stop # 2 is not on this week’s route. In that case I want a dynamic column which assigns #2 to Location C.

I’m sure there is an elegant way to do this. Am hoping someone can help. Thanks in advance!

I don’t quite follow your route use case, but this is one the simplest ways to add an auto increment.

3 Likes

yeah, if I’m understanding the use case correctly then a variation of that should do it.

@Food2Soil - assuming that you have a boolean column that defines the status for each stop (in/out), then all you should need to do is create a relation to your list of Stops (using the boolean as a filter), then add a lookup to create an array of StopIDs via the relation, then expand the array using the RowID/Single Value method.

If you then need details related to each stop, you’d create a single relation back to your stops table, and add whatever lookup columns are necessary.

2 Likes

Thankyou @Darren_Murphy and @Robert_Petitto for your help. Both solutions worked!

1 Like

Good examples, I also had some problems with numeric order in Glide. Now all is fine. Thanks!
new project more