Array Column as options in a choice component?

Array columns for Choice Display would be the simplest solution to this and something I feel like Glide could handle. Add it to the Feature Request app, and you might be pleasantly surprised that it comes sooner than you think.

2 Likes

I have just added one but if I’m not wrong it is subjected to review from Glide team before available for voting.

4 Likes

They’ll add it. It’s a pretty obvious one. They usually take a few days to add new request for voting.

2 Likes

Thank you for adding that. I thought the feature request app wasn’t live anymore, Is this the right link?

Yeah it’s there.

Here’s what Mark said a while ago:

I’ve wanted this too, thanks for submitting the request!

1 Like

looks like it’s whitelisted emails only.

I’ll give it a shot. Thanks so much!

Hi @Mark …this really needs to be a thing. Array columns as choice components. 3 of my current apps hinge on this feature. Any chance it’s in the pipeline?

2 Likes

We have solved it here.

2 Likes

:clinking_glasses: @ThinhDinh & @Jeff_Hager. Nice work and beautiful timing. Thanks for the ping!

2 Likes

Looked at this again today. For my particular use case which doesn’t utilize a standardized and finite range of sizes, it’s close but not quite. It’s users who enter their own product/size/price info. Need a solution that doesn’t rely on a secondary size array sheet.

1 Like

you voted for this, no?

1 Like

Hey @Mark - I put together an app to illustrate the challenges, redundancies, and extra processing that can be eliminated by having an array column for the choice component.

The app is a simple list of products in 3 different sizes: https://arraycolumn.glideapp.io/

Two scenarios. The first speaks to the current state of affairs. The second borrows from a workaround introduced by @Jeff_Hager and @ThinhDinh. It may be suitable for a vendor with a limited product catalog but doesn’t scale.

Time/effort spent working around this simple limitation is rather high and it has cascading effects. If there’s a way to achieve that workaround within the data editor, I’d like to know. Otherwise, can you suggest something more efficient if an array column for choice is not a feature Glide would consider valuable?

2 Likes

Hi @Rasha

I think this new tool could help to this case (Join Texts):

Now I can understand the problem of using an array column in a choice component (the blank spaces/fields) but with the Join Text tool, it could be the solution using the newline as the separator list inside array.

Mark here has the last word!

Saludos

1 Like

I see the point.

4 Likes

I checked it out in staging. Join Text allows me to combine all size/price options for a product (e.g., Small ($5.00/pc), Medium ($10.00/pc), Large ($20.00/lb) in the data editor instead of the sheet. But, I still need to write them to the ProductTwo sheet and re-split for the ARRAY computation which relies on a second sheet. The trouble with choice is not blank spaces or fields.

I know your point of view but now try to see the case from 200 mt tall.

Maybe you don’t have problem with a choice and array because you build it manually (Price1, Price2, Price3 —> Price) and surely you won’t have blank spaces or fields in that list.

But what if, the array is dynamic based on a multiple relation?
You won’t have to create new columns, the items list (or size types list) is created automatically with every selection or operation and the choice component will use this list w/o problems.

I have also your same problem with Pizza dishes (large, medium or small size) and I’m try to kill 2 birds with one shot! :innocent:

Feliz día Rasha

1 Like

I understand your perspective but we’re not standing atop the same mountain. I do very much have a problem with choice: not being able to use array columns. I understand the “blank space” conundrum but that’s not the bottleneck. We’re missing each somewhere here :slight_smile:

I’m not entering Sizes or Prices manually. Those are entered by the “distributors” using the app along with several other Product criteria.

Can you elaborate on that? How are those multiple relations set up? No matter how you look at it, it’s additional work/workarounds.

No killing birds :slight_smile: We can both advocate for fixes/improvements. Cheers.

1 Like

This would be great!

2 Likes