Ability to "comment out" a component

In the old world of procedural programming, I frequently performed experiments in replacing existing code that already works with some better idea. Rather than delete the part of a program that works with new code that was unproven, I would “comment out” the working code – but not delete it or lose its position. That way, if my new idea and resulting code failed me, I could roll back to the old code that works.

In Glide, the analogous concept would be to have a way to “comment out” components while you tried “something new”. When you get “the something new” to work you could actually delete the old, commented out components.

5 Likes

I usually set a visibility condition with something that will never be true, such as checking if a row id is empty. That’s something that will never happen, so the component is hidden from view.

I do think though that the new editor will have that option to turn visibility on or off.
Edit: scratch that. I was thinking of something different. Visibility conditions work though to “comment” out a component.

3 Likes

Yep! That’s what I do…I create a component and set the visibility condition to Row Id > is > HIDDEN UNTIL…

3 Likes

Yup, I do exactly what Jeff does.
I do a similar thing with new tabs. If I’m building a new tab (or replacing an existing one), I just keep it hidden from everyone except myself. Then once it’s ready, I just swap it in.

2 Likes

This will work just fine. Thank you.

I do ( as always :slight_smile: ) have another suggestion. In general it would be nice to show a “hidden” icon in the representation of a component component that is currently hidden ( dynamically hidden due to current list/item state) on in the right column so that you can understand what it going on with a quick look without having to go into the details of a component. Just saying…

3 Likes

Yep, that’s what I thought I had seen in the new builder, but it was just for tabs and not for components. Hopefully they will implement your idea.

2 Likes