What's the difference between Sheets and Tables?

Thanks, I knew that but didn’t word my sentence well - my brain is a little fried on a Friday afternoon after many hours of Gliding. I was investigating how to ditch the Google Sheet and saw there was the export function.

2 Likes

No worries! Have a good upcoming weekend yourself and do let us know if you have any questions.

1 Like

Great information but I am still confused by what is meant by ‘a one way sync’.
Which way is that going? From Glide to Sheets or the other way around?

Also, I am stuck with my key data in a Glide table, because I was following Tara’s example during an earlier class and didn’t know any better.
Can I somehow get the data from a Glide table extracted to a Sheet? (so I could then delete the Glide table entirely)

@JasonFisher The ‘one way sync’ part is just for those certain sheet as indicated in the original post. Automatically generated sheets, such as ‘App: Logins’, ‘App: Comments’, and ‘App: Sales’, are created by glide and added to a google sheet a sort of log only for your use. They serve no function to be used in a glide app. You can duplicate those sheets if you happen to have a need for them to show up in your glide data, but for the most part they are just data logs, or transaction logs and thus only sync from glide to google. This is not the case for other sheets of data as they are synced both ways.

Now if you created your data in a Glide Table, then to data is stored only in glide and eliminates the need to have the data in a google sheet. If you would prefer to have your data in a google sheet, then you will need to Export the data as indicated in a post above, add that data to your existing app google sheet, then rebuild the logic to point to that new data tab. There is no easy way to “convert” data to be Glide Table to Google Sheet based and vice versa. It will take some reworking of existing glide computed columns, tabs, and any other layouts that were based on that existing glide table.

3 Likes

and there is no way to switch from Glide able to Google sheet?
even in a tricky way I mean

1 Like

If your app wasn’t based on a google sheet to begin with, then no, there currently isn’t a way to attach a google sheet. If your app uses both glide tables and google sheets, then you can export data and load it into your google sheet. Or there is a creative way to move data between tables and sheets with the following method:

5 Likes

Is there a list of cons for using a Glide Table?

I saw in the documentation:

• They are not yet as easy to edit as your Google Sheet.
  • Only basic columns and user-specific columns are shared when you share a Glide Table between apps—computed columns are not yet shared with the table.

Is that it? I heard Zapier might not be a possible action with Tables? Also obviously you cannot run formulas you have in your Excel sheet.

1 Like

I’d say the biggest con with Glide Tables at the moment is that there is no easy way to bulk import or export data.

I don’t use Zapier or Excel, so can’t speak for either. I do use Google Sheets though, but I try to avoid spreadsheet formulas as much as possible. If I can’t do it in the GDE, then I’ll usually turn to Apps Script. But that’s really got nothing to do with Glide Tables.

I think the choice between Glide Tables and GSheets often comes down to the specific use case (and sometimes just personal preference). I find that I tend to use a combination of both, although heavily weighted in favour of GSheets. But that’s because with most of the projects I work on, I’m pulling data from external sources, and that’s much easier with GSheets. I also rely very heavily on Apps Script, and of course you don’t have that option if you’re working exclusively with Glide Tables. But that’s just me. YMMV.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info @Darren_Murphy . But I thought there was a data export function somewhere? Any thoughts or opinions on it?

Yes, there is.
I’ve not used it, but I’d expect that it probably just gives you a full dump of every table.

1 Like

Thanks Darren. I see. A full dump but unorganized vs a Google sheet where it’s all set up exactly how you like it?

I’ll try and play around with that feature later this week myself as I’m trying to use a single Google sheet as database to power multiple front ends with Glide being one of them. But based on some of the user experiences I’ve read, am also thinking to might be good to just start with Glide tables for performance. Thanks again

Jumping in, I’ve used the export, you get an email with all data in Excel.

2 Likes

Thanks @Cisco_Muratalla ! But obviously the images wouldn’t be there unless they were pointing to a URL somewhere?

Sorry I don’t recall, not sure how or if the image(s) came over.

I believe every image you upload will be stored to Glide’s firebase and show up as a link so in the exported Sheet it would show up as a link.

2 Likes

Is it possible to stack a Glide tables with data?
do row in Glide tables count as rows till the limit of 25,000
for pro?
If I link a Glide table to several apps, the rows are counted in all apps or just in the original app?
Is there a way.
When exporting data is the data from Glide tables exported as well?
I have a table with 5K rows I need sheared in several apps. Not sure how to do that.

1. I’m not sure what you mean

2. All rows used in your app in anyway count towards your row count. (The 25,000 rows is a suggestion not a hard limit. If your app is not too complex you should be able to exceed that comfortably)

3. I believe glide tables connected to several apps will add row counts to each one respectively. (Haven’t tried)

4. No, exporting app data will not export the data from glide tables. (There’s a few posts in this forum about using a robot :robot: w/ glide tables to do that)

5. If you need to share a table between apps then you could do that with a glide table.

I hope this helps!

1 Like
  1. I have a table in GS with 5K rows. Its for products and their nutrition values/ I nees to use it in more than one app. I was considering whether I use it from GS as is or convert to a Glide Table if there were any pros or cons to each

Glide Tables will enhance your app performance since the data does not need to be synced back and forth. However you can’t mass delete or mass upload yet.

If you have integrations to update the data from outside, let’s say a Zapier or Integromat scenario then Glide Tables is a no go.

It does get exported, alongside all user-specific columns @Eric_Penn.

Adding to this, only normal columns can be synced. Computed columns can’t be shared.

1 Like

One thing I’ve learned from Glide/ app building is that everything is possible.

Glide tables are your fastest option so I would use that as my first choice.

You could use a webhook with zapier or integromat and write the data to multiple GSheets at once in all of your apps (this is a little clunky and will be much much slower than synching with glide tables)