Split Text Using a Space is Not Working

In the Users table, I’m trying to split the Name field into First Name and Last Name using Split Text with a space, but it’s not splitting the text.

I’ve tested this in multiple projects and I haven’t been able to get it to work.

Am I missing something?

Hi @Toby,

Split it with a space!

Then you can use a single value column!

Thank you

1 Like

Hi @Dilon_Perera,

Your example is exactly what I am trying to accomplish. I’ve added a space to the Split Text field but it is not splitting the text.

Perhaps it’s a bug?

Did you copy and paste and the names by chance? There was a copy paste bug.

Does it help if you delete the name and manually retype it?

Hi @Eric_Penn,

No, I didn’t copy and paste it. I have tried removing the name and typing it in. I’ve even deleted the fields and recreated them, but it still doesn’t work.

I’ve looked at tutorials of others doing this to make sure I was doing it correctly, but I’ve never been able to make this work in any project in my account.

Sounds strange… does this Java Script work?

return p1.split(' ')[0];

Replace p1 with the full name

1 Like

@Eric_Penn -

The Javascript worked! Thank you.

I’ll use this solution for now, but still not sure why the Split Text doesn’t work.

2 Likes

If it doesn’t work, the most obvious thing is that the separator should not be a typical space. From what @Toby said, it’s still unclear how that info was input into the system. I was thinking of a white space character, but I’m not sure if it was simply data being typed in or something else.

1 Like

A non-JavaScript approach would be to use the Extract Matching Text column with the following pattern: ^(\w+)

3 Likes

Hey I was having the same issue with split text but I fixed it by switching to Google Chrome. It wasn’t working on Safari.