Parking Space App

Hello,
Im living in a closed community, and sometimes people want to lend/sell parking space.
Im searching for a low/no-code solution to build an app for owners of parking spaces to register and sell their parking space time for others. For example:

• Im a parking space owner, but I don’t have a car. I register in the app as an owner, where the parking space is, and how much does it cost.
  • Another person registers as a regular user, picks a parking space nearby and buys it from me for a period of time (space becomes unavailable to rent).
  • After this period the parking space is again available.

Thanks!

Yeah you will be able to do it on Glide with one catch. The payments won’t be done inside the app because on Glide you can collect payments in one account only.
So if that part can be managed on an external site (with links/webview inside of Glide) and capture that information back to the database through a manual approval or an automation then the rest can be managed easily inside Glide.

Oh nice, thanks Manan_Mehta.
Is there maybe a template that could be a good starting point for this problem?

Check the latest Asset Management app by Glide (https://www.glideapps.com/prefab/asset-manager-app).

It has parts that you will be able to customize to your needs.

At its core, you need:

• a listing of available spots
  • ability for people to ‘check out’ and ‘check in’ the spot
  • some way for the spot owner to verify the claims
2 Likes

Actually I’ve gone and started w/o a template and I’ve ended up with a similar ‘problem’ the template you recommended has.
So in this https://www.glideapps.com/prefab/asset-manager-app when you browse the Assets -> Unassigned (for me those would be the free spots), when I enter an item I imagine that I would have a big “RENT” button, after which the user who wants to rent it enters his data, and after payment/veritication the item record gets updated and taken off the app (since its not available anymore).
BUT… I see its done by editing the item (pencil icon in the top-right), rather than an action/form that edits the same record.

Here’s a preview of my table of data:

What I want: For the record to update in the “Tenant plate number”, “Tenant make and model”, “Tenant phone number” “Rent to” when the user clicks a big button in the spot description page and submits/pays for it.
What I don’t want: to use the “Allow user to edit” because the UX of it is not right.
Problem: Adding a big button in the spot descrition gives me two options: Zappier or Form
Zappier: I don’t know really, so maybe this can solve it?
Form: looks like the thing that I want, but it adds a new record to my main database, and not edits it.

Thanks!

Wouldn’t a new row from a form button be better? Write it to a new sheet, then use relations/lookups/rollups to pull the info from the latest rental into the parking space details. Then use date comparison to check if the latest rental is still current or not and hide or show the form button accordingly. That way you have a log of all past rentals if needed.

If you don’t want all that, then create a link to screen “this item” button and place entry components on that second detail screen. Then conditionally hide or show the button if the rental is current or not.

2 Likes

Jeff you’re spot on. This was my alternative solution. I’ll try that, thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Jeff, I’ve changed my structure to this:

But I don’t know how to populate the “isAvailable” column in the Spots table.

You’ve written:
:white_check_mark: Write it to a new sheet,
:thinking: then use relations/lookups/rollups to pull the info from the latest rental into the parking space details.
:thinking: Then use date comparison to check if the latest rental is still current or not and
:white_check_mark: hide or show the form button accordingly.

How to achieve 2 and 3? Thanks.

Hey @Marcin_Bauer

Nb 2 could be done by created a new column on your spot tab. This is a relation where the ID column matches the ID column on the rental tab. Then you create another column Lookup/rollup that matches that relation.

Nb3 could be done with a math column where you add the renting date + the amount of days the renting lasts. Then have a ITE column where if today is between that date the show true, else false.

I hope this helps, let us know.

So I almost have it, but Im blocked:

I solved the “has this rental been expired” problem with a “If then else” column “Has expired”. So i know which of the records are active. But now I don’t know how to use it in the spots sheet, so I can apply a filter to the spots if one of them doesn’t have any active rentals.

The most I could do is do a Lookup table “Has expired?” that finds all rental IDs of the specific spot, and lists its “Has expired” values. So then I have “Has expired?”:
true true false - spot it has an active rental
true true true - doesn’t have an active rental so display it.

If I could create another column and display true/false if “Has expired?” has a “false” I think I would be good.

Ugh yes, this is complicated :frowning:

Is your rented by relation a multiple relation? Try a single relation and see if that’s gives you what need.

I did it!

I had to change some logic from true/false and in the “Has active?” just don’t return a value of false.
Then in Spots I looked up which of the Reters of the Spot has an active “true” and it works!
Now i just filter results by “Is rented?” != true :slight_smile:

This does work, but maybe isn’t the best solution? Any ideas if it can be simpler?

1 Like

Good job!