How To: Use a Public Users table to keep private user data secure (Glide Tables only)

Here is a copyable concept App that demonstrates how to keep User Profile data secure through the use of Row Owners, and at the same time share a subset of each users data via a Public Users table, using Glide Tables only

Key points:

• A simple onboarding screen forces new users to complete their basic profile information.
  • When a user completes the onboarding, their Public Profile is created
  • The Users table and Public Users table are kept in sync by using an onSubmit action on the User Profile edit screen that updates the related Public User row

Update: December 28, 2023

This was originally published as a Classic App. As Classic Apps are no longer supported, I have ported it to a new Glide App and published as a copyable private template.

The original Classic App is still available here.

8 Likes

Great!

If I’m not wrong, I’ve already seen this by Robert a while ago. Great concept :clap:t3: thanks for sharing Darren!

@Darren_Murphy Wouldn’t it be possible to use a user specific column in the users table and thereby make most of the users data public but leave some data to be private?

I have a use case where the users are internal users - and thereby know each others information. But there are a few private informations which should only be seen by the individual.

I think I read that some user specific information cannot be used for some functionality - maybe API calls? is there a list of things that user specific columns cannot be used for?

Your use case makes sense, providing that no other users should have access to that data - including Admin users. Just keep in mind that User Specific data is only visible to the user that adds it. And there is no way for any other user to access that data. For example, let’s say one of these columns was the users age. It would be impossible to determine the average age across all users.

And yes, User Specific values are not accessible via the API.

2 Likes