How to Url Encode text using the data editor

I can url encode text using the construct url column. But i have to add the protocol and the domain to the front of that text.
The problem is that i need to encode multiple sections of text that get joined together with the & symbol in between. (and various other symbols that i don’t want url encoded)

Simple eg. the cat sat on the mat & the dog ran off with the spoon
Url Encode: the%20cat%20sat%20on%20the%20mat%20%26%20the%20dog%20ran%20off%20with%20the%20spoon
But i need the & symbol to remain behind not turn into %26

I can easily encode (the cat sat on the mat) using Construct Url column BUT then i always get for example https://domain.com/pathname?pathname= added to it
eg. https://domain.com/pathname?pathname=the%20cat%20sat%20on%20the%20mat (i called my pathname… pathname so thats why that’s there)

So now i have strip everything up to and including the = and replace with nothing/blank.
This is easy with sheets but does anyone have some tricks using glide tables/editor.

I’m using Get Part of URL and the Replace All column but must use a new replace all column for each word or character that i need replaced, super tedious.

Would appreciate the help👍

I saw that, but i can’t get that to do url encode (%20 etc etc):thinking:
Can you explain how.
I couldn’t find any help files for this?

OMG i just figured it out, you just type url in the bottom section (the default is Base64, i think?).
They really need a better explanation for that. I figured that our by chance.

It also doesn’t convert a ! into %21

I believe that the exclamation mark falls into neither the reserved or unsafe sets of characters, so it wouldn’t normally need to be URL encoded.

2 Likes

Just putting it all together. I’ve been using that plugin for where i needed Base64 coding (because it obviously defaults to base 64) but it’s literally the one thing i couldn’t figure out for my ICS files so i had to use a table connected to a google sheet. So frustrating.
Thanks for the help👍

Hi,
In the encoding, what do we put for (Base64,url) ?

encode

url

which url Darren?

None. Just the string “url” (assuming that you want it url-encoded and not base64 encoded).

CleanShot 2023-07-04 at 11.16.24

2 Likes