How to make an Image Carousel

@nathanaelb

Hi,

The short answer as I see it. You cannot do a image carousel in the Data editor.
Why?
Because the data editor has some build-in functionality that combines columns when they have the same columnname plus a sequencial numbering e.g. ImagePano1, ImagePano2, ImagePano3. This will result in a combined column called ImagePano.

I tried to create a form where images can be uploaded - but you have to do it one-by-one - and no dragging images as I can see.

NB: Are you sure that the image will show quicker?

Every time I see “NB”, I don’t know if this refers to the Latin “Nota Bene” or to my name “Nathanael B.” :joy:

I don’t know if the images will display quicker, that is what I’m testing. I’ll let you know.

2 Likes

Here I expect that you can use both meanings :slight_smile:

1 Like

You could probably create a screen with 20 image components to handle the drag and drop. Either create it temporarily it hide it so only you can see it.

Hi @Jeff_Hager, I’ve figured out how to do it, it’s no biggy: I drag and drop, take the Google API link generated, move it in the column I want, rinse and repeat for every image. It works but it’s a clunky way of building the carousels.

My questions was rather: is there way of uploading images in bulk to the GDE, or a non-clunky way of dragging and dropping multiple times and fiddling around with copy-pasting?

It appears there isn’t (yet). All well :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I was only thinking of a secondary screen that only you can access with image components that point to each individual image column. You could bulk drag and drop into each image component directly through the separate image components without having to then move the url. It would be a direct drag, drop, and done and save you the extra step of moving urls I guess. Then everyone else would only see the images through a single image component using the array column. That’s about the best idea I have. One thing you may need to do is preload the columns with text, so the component at least shows up for you to drag and drop into it. If you have something that works, then no problem.

Also, now thinking about it more, I believe you can upload directly through the data editor. If recognized as an image column, you have the option to add an unsplash image as well as upload images. Not sure how this would work with an array column though, since you can’t see each individual column.

Aaah, I now understand what you meant with the secondary screen. Sneaky!

I am uploading via the Glide Data Editor, in order for the images to be hosted on Glide rather than on Google Drive. I’m testing if the carousel will then load a little faster. I’ll keep you posted.

1 Like

Is there a way I can keep the original columns (Ex: Image 1, Image 2, Image 3)?

A relation column is created, but I can’t access the individual columns in the data glide editor.

What do you want to do with each image column? Do you want to edit them in the Editor?

Yes, I want to upload them directly into the editor.

@import '//glidetools.ml/app-widgets/slideshow/1?slides=4&interval=5'

Maybe this works too, try it out. The images slide on their own

2 Likes

Currently I think there’s no way to access that inside the Data Editor. You would have to create image pickers for them.

1 Like

I changed it to A,B,C. Let’s see if it sticks.

If you don’t need an array column then that would work. Array columns are only added for sequential numbers.

1 Like

You can simulate an array column with a template column and a split text column.

3 Likes

Yes, I only need them stacked as components, but wanted clear headers for it. Thanks.

1 Like

how about 2021 version? glide can’t automatically create the special column

Did you do the columns in a Glide Table? If you have them in the Sheet, do you place them next to each other?

Hello all, does anybody know if instead of an image carousel, could an image change every time the user visits? For example, let’s say I’m making a tourism/city discovery app for NY. Maybe one time I open the app, I want an image of Times Square but the next time I visit, I want a picture of someplace more unique to locals like Union Square as locals won’t really care about Times Square if they live there.

Thanks in advance!

You can do this with Single Value → Random

4 Likes