Google Sheets built-in "On form submit" trigger

I built a simple script to clear the content of two columns on two different sheets:

function clearFormEntries() {

// Activate 2nd sheet [Team] and delete G2:G [CHECKLIST]
  var spreadsheet = SpreadsheetApp.getActiveSpreadsheet();
  SpreadsheetApp.setActiveSheet(spreadsheet.getSheets()[1]);
  var sheet = spreadsheet.getActiveSheet();
  sheet.getRange('G2:G').clear();

// Activate 4th sheet [Rules] and delete D2:D [OTHER DESCRIPTION]
  var spreadsheet = SpreadsheetApp.getActiveSpreadsheet();
  SpreadsheetApp.setActiveSheet(spreadsheet.getSheets()[3]);
  var sheet = spreadsheet.getActiveSheet();
  sheet.getRange('D2:D').clear();  

}

The script works as expected when I run it. The purpose of the script is to clear a checklist and text field. Otherwise, the next user sees the previous user’s input. [The app has two nested in-line list relations that present different options depending on what was selected in the previous list.]

I want the script to run after each time a user submits a form (I have a single form button in the app). I added Google Sheets’ built-in “On form submit” trigger:

The trigger does not appear to be working. I’ve looked through the Glide Community posts on triggers and didn’t see any discussion of this functionality, so I suspect it doesn’t work with Glide. Is that true? If so, how would I set up an event-driven trigger (e.g., when a new row is added to the Google sheet that captures Glide form submissions)?

Link to app: https://sa-taa.glideapp.io

1 Like

I tried changing the built-in trigger to “On change” (from “On form submit”). This triggers the function on any change in the sheet, and it ends up clearing the entries I want to capture.

1 Like

Think I figured it out. Changed the first part of the script:

function clearFormEntries(e) {

if(e.changeType=="INSERT_ROW")

and used the built in trigger “On change”. So, the script is triggered whenever there’s a change, but it only executes the commands when a new row is inserted (i.e., a Glide form is submitted).

3 Likes

Well done. I’ve been attempting something similar with clearing the contents of certain cells in a particular row when a particular cell in the same row becomes empty. This gives me some ideas. :thinking:

Hi

I want to clear out records which are 30 days old based upon a date time field within the sheet, It needs to Trigger on new row being added.

I thought the “On form submit” event trigger was only when an attached Google Form adds a record. Are you saying it works when you add a row to a sheet via the Glide Form?

No, it does not work with the Glide Form.