Current time "now"

Date type columns always contain a date and a time. That’s just how they work. There is no such thing as a time only type of column. You can format it to only display time, but that is only for display purposes. The underlying date is still there.

Date type columns are very interesting in how they work. They are very flexible as far as the format of the date that can be entered. If you were to enter only a time in a date column, it will usually default to the nearest date, which could be yesterday, today, or tomorrow. With that flexibility, you can also pass in words. If you write the word ‘today’ in a date column, it will interpret it as today’s date. If you wrote ‘today at 11:15am’, it would interpret it as today’s date with a time of 11:15. That may be a method you could use, but I’m not sure off the top of my head if the date will dynamically change each day, or if it becomes static. It’s a bit of a hack, but it’s pretty impressive. I dive deeper into that method with this post.

What I would probably do instead, is create some creative date math that would take the now date, basically subtract the time to get it to midnight, and then add in your selected time. It’s a bit to work out the math, but definitely possible. I think I have done it in the past, or something similar, but I’d have to sit down and work it out. I’m pretty confident that it’s doable. This post is probably where I would start to build out the math.

So to be clear, when you enter a T time, are you doing it through the app, or do you just type it into the data editor? I just want to make sure I understand how the time gets put into that column.

1 Like