Allow the user to select from a drop down or choose other?

@Gary_Willmott - another question. What is the end goal here? And what I mean is, what will happen with the users choices and how will they be used?

My family is in town and I created an app so everyone can have an overview of our schedule (a calendar view of what I called “slots”), a list of possible activities (which I called “activities”), etc. Note that slots and activities are two different tables: a slot is an entry in a calendar/agenda, an activity is something to do but does not include any information as to when the activity might happen (if at all).

When adding a slot in the form screen, the user can select from a list of predefined activities or add his own description of the slot, though this will not add an activity to the activities table. The situation is similar to yours I feel.

It’s good enough for my use case. Below is how I displayed the components in the builder. There are other components in the form, in particular start and end date-times to define the slot. This screenshot though seems related to your use case.

1 Like

Working backwards, users will be able to filter the gallery by surfers that are tagged essesntially
This is critical as they want to see photos of themselves or friends and not just random people.

I’m not sure I follow. In your first screen shot, it looks like the user is being asked to select/tag locations - not surfers?

Sorry I got mixed up as I’m using a similar scenario for surfers, as they want to filter by location and by surfer, see below

Screenshot 2022-09-20 at 14.20.42
b

ie. Each Gallery post must have a location / surfer tagged with it.

Ah, I see.
So the context is that this selection is made when a user is uploading a photo, and so they are tagging the location where the photo was taken, yes?

1 Like

Correct, you can see it here

It’s the “Apply to be a Photographer” form, yes?

That explains the multi-select, I think. So when I submit the form, are those locations tagged to me as a user (rather than tagged to a photo)? They must be, I guess, because I don’t see anywhere in that form to upload an image.

Do these then become the Locations that I am “following”, or?

Apologies for bombarding you with questions, I’m just trying to get a clear picture in my mind.

No it’s the “upload footage” button in the top nav
I’ve approved you, so you will see it now.

hehe, we seem to have switched mid stream. Your original screen shot had a list of locations, not surfers.

But I guess it’s a similar use case in both. In one case, you’re tagging one or more locations to a photographer (I think?), and in the other you’re tagging one or more surfers to a photograph.

Alright, everything I said in my earlier reply still holds in terms of the challenges. But I have a clearer picture now. Let me think on this a bit.

Yeh correct, they are both very similar use cases:
I’ve given a breakdown to give more context

Gallery Item:

• Created by an approved Photographer
  • Can have many surfers assigned
  • Can have 1 location assigned to it

Surfer

• Can can follow many locations
  • Gets notified (by email) once a photographer uploads to a location they followed

Locations:

• Many can be created by the Admin or photographer

Hey @Darren_Murphy what you think so far?

Do you think the Trebuchet method would work in this scenario?

Yes, I definitely think you need to be using Trebuchet or some variation of it.
But I’m still not sure about the best way to handle the mix of current values and a new (optional) value being added in the same step. I’m thinking that you probably need to be creating a row for the optional value, and then using the generated RowID in the same action sequence to update the joined list. But I’m not really sure if that would work, or how reliable it would be if it did work. I’d need to experiment with it.

Is there any chance I can get access to a copy of your app to experiment with?

Hey @Darren_Murphy , yeh happy to give you a copy, how do I give it to you?

Probably the easiest is to send me your team invite link (send it to me privately).
You can get it from your Team Members page

Thanks, sent

@Gary_Willmott - after taking a look at your App and experimenting with it a bit, I think the solution here is to essentially create a form within a form.

I’ve sent you a video privately that explains in detail, but essentially the idea is that if a User wants to add a new Surfer, we allow them to do it from within the main form. The new surfer will then appear in the multi-select and can be included when the form is submitted.

This is something that can only be done with a custom form.

1 Like

Hey @Darren_Murphy do you still have the video for this issue? I’ve run into it today and struggling to find and an elegant solution for either selecting or adding a new user from within a form.

Cheers,
Mark

I do, but it’s not something that I can share because it contains data from Gary’s App that I don’t think should be shared.

Create a new topic, describe your goal and what you’ve tried, and I’m sure we can help.
A screen shot or two of your data and layout will be helpful.

Ok great!

I’ll jump on that soon.